Venting soil pipe through roof or gable end ?

Hi All

Still trying to make some sense of the venting arrangements for my drains in order to make the local Building Control bods happy and get that all-important Completion Certificate.

So - I have a septic tank down at the bottom of the garden - and a long-ish pipe run down to it. At the highest point there's an earthenware 4" pipe which looks as if a 4" plastic vent pipe once went straight up inside the bathroom and out through the roof.

Since then, a previous owner has removed the vent pipe and replaced it with an air-admittance valve, at floor level.

Building Control want to see the AAV removed and a 'real' vent open to the air reinstated.

Because it's in a very obvious position (in an alcove with the washbasin / large mirror etc) I'm keen to make the whole thing look as unobtrusive as possible. Apparently I can go from 4" to 3" pipe once I'm above the level of the basin overflow - this will help a little with the appearance and getting the inevitable boxing-in to be as close to the wall as poss .

Because it's not easy catching up with the Building Bods as they're apparently understaffed and running about on sites all day - I'm asking here

So - a few questions :-

a) Is it possible to get an offset adapter to go from 4" to 3" - "in-line" ? b) Am I going to have problems obtaining 3" pipe & fittings ? c) Can the pipe pass out through the gable end of the bungalow (I know about the restrictions re opening windows) - or does it have to go out through the roof ? d) If it goes through the roof - is this just a matter of removing a concrete tile and fitting one of those 'ali-sheets-with-a-rubber-collar' efforts - does the ali sheet replace the tile ??

Many thanks in advance Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:37:54 +0100, Adrian Brentnall scrawled:

Yep. All the 4" - 3" adapters I've seen have been offset, whether this is just conicidence or a standard fitting I have no idea but they are available.

Shouldn't have thought so, try a local plumbers merchants and see what they say. If their answer is "yes sir, we keep 3" pipe and fittings in stock and on the shelf" then job's a good 'un.

Pass.

Pretty much, I did the same here for the boiler flue and it was just a case of remove tile, cut felt, insert flue, slip collar over and fashion to approximate tile shape. There may have been some silicone involved although I don't think that's strictly neccesary.

Reply to
Lurch

great !

I'll do some phoning....

Hmmm - I'm just thinking that it'd look tidier if we came out through the gable - but it would also add about 12ft to the pipe-run - so maybe the 'straight through the roof' option is a simpler proposition....

Sounds straight-forward enough. By Murphy's 3rd law of DIY the hole in the flashing slate won't correspond with the position of the hole in the ceiling - but I guess a couple of 3" elbows will sort that one....

All sounds pretty do-able - thanks for the comments...

Adrian ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall