Velux blinds advice

Hi,

I'm after some helpful advice on velux window blinds for our new, south facing kitchen extension. We have 4 veluxes in a 40sq. m. extension - built into a sloping (not flat) roof in the (single-storey) extension.

We're just not sure how hot it's is going get be in this room and to what degree Velux blinds can help us keep the heat down. There seem to be 3 options:

1) 'Awning blinds', which are fitted to the outside of the windows. The benefits seem to be:

- Out of sight when not in use

- Diffused light when in use

- Keeps the sun off the glass, because it's outside. Therefore potentially helpful in preventing heat incursion.

But persumably does nothing for heat retention during the winter!

2) Blackout blinds Apparently these have an aluminium backing which helps to keep out heat but which also helps to keep heat in (in winter).

Velux aren't very helpful in explaining which of (1) and (2) are best for keeping the heat down in summer. And how much difference the ali backing in (2) is for winter.

3) Standard roller blinds Presumably the least effective at anything other than cutting out strong sunlight.

If you have knowledge or experience on these things, please post! As otherwise it will be a coin-toss between (1) and (2). (Or (1), as it's cheaper than (2)!)

Many thanks!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

But probably significantly cheapest.

If it only gets hot for a few weeks of the year, try greenhouse whiting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We have Velux "Venetian" blinds on our 5 Velux windows in our loft conversion.

A few comments:

- they have one side that is supposedly heat reflecting. Can't say I've noticed any great effect - we keep them all closed most of the time. I think in our loft there are lots of other places for heat to come in. e.g. today it was 35degC up here when I got home from work.

- they are very well made and fitting was a pleasure - of course they are specifically designed for the particular window sizes so that must help. Not sure how the roller and other blind types fit, but would certainly recommend the Venetian types for a good and easy fit.

- we ordered ours online from

This was about 6 years ago so can't comment on up to date comparison, but at the time they had great prices and quick delivery.

Good luck!

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud