USB endoscopes

I'm pretty sure one of my chimneys doesn't have a liner. I thought I could check using one of these USB endoscope thingies:

However, they all seem to have floppy cables and I want to be able to shove it up the chimney.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Tape the cable to a fibreglass fishing rod, garden cane, or whatever seems suitable.

Reply to
Graham.

You could drop it down the chimney from the top?

Some of them have goosenecks rather than flexes.

Maybe putting the flex in a length of foam pipe insulation would stiffen it sufficiently?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Another Dave wrote

Have you got a powered USB for it?

Reply to
Jabba

Several 2 Amp ones. Do they use a lot of current?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Indeed. I don't know what I've been using for brains all these years.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Another Dave wrote

No idea, probably worth checking with seller.

Reply to
Jabba

And why do some of the ones with longer cables seem to say they will have less functionality?

Reply to
Bill

Tape it to the end of something stiffer. Plastic pipe (conduit) works quite well. Or a chinmey/drain rod set.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maybe, if you shove the thing far enough up your nose you'll find out!

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

All you need is a torch. Best to sweep the chimney first.

Reply to
harryagain

Mount it on a sweeps brush ahead of the bristles perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

suspended from a RC Quadcopter.

Reply to
Graham.

Not IME, my 7m one is happy to run from a crappy laptop.

Reply to
John Rumm