Upholstery Query

Hi,

I am just re-cycling an old office chair. On stripping the back down to the wood, I have found that there are four horizontal lines (grooves). These seem to be made by pressing or (glueing) the 8mm foam cover to the fabric and pressing the foam flat. There is no sewn seams along these indentations. Anyone know how I can do this when I re-cover it please? FWIW the cover is glued to the 8mm foam and there is a fine cloth glued to the foam, the pad is then stapled over a thick moulded foam pad attached to the plywood back. Hope this is understandable!

Thanks

Reply to
Peter J Hemmings

Wonder if its been melted to create the grooves...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Maybe, thats why I am asking! I wondered if they might have been glued somehow.

Reply to
Peter J Hemmings

Hot iron usually.

Easiest way to simulate this is by stitching through.

have an ugly web site, and their foam ordering system is broken (it over-charges massively), but they're handy for sundries like big upholstery needles.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cor.

It IS messy and I couldn't believe the price for beeswax - £2.28 / oz ... even the craft shop I supply only charges 80p ... with their own name on it! If that's representative of other prices I don't want to know.

Thanks for the warning.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I agree sewing is easiest, but use silicone on the sewing machine, or you will struggle to feed it through.

Do you not find they are expensive for most things or is that what you meant, and not just the foam.

Reply to
Yekal

I use a Very Very Big sewing machine. 8-)

The other way to sew through foam is to clamp the foam between two boards and a couple of G clamps, with the necessary part sticking out. Then run it through a sleeve-arm or post machine.

I don't buy enough upholstery to really know. I find that just _finding_ upholstery supplies is hard enough, let alone comparison shopping for the stuff. I find _all_ upholstery shopping projects turn out more expensive than I expected ! Miltons didn't seem ridiculous for webbing, rubberised horsehair, tacks etc.

I also have non-upholstery sources for very cheap fabrics (hessian, linen, calico and coverings), so I'm probably not buying the worst cases.

Is there anywhere else you'd recomend as a supplier ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Could I stitch through this Ok with ordinary machine? You say to use silicon, is this only on the thread or material or some other method? What form is the silicon spray, liquid or spray?

Thanks

Reply to
Peter J Hemmings

There is not many places that sell to the public, I tend to buy in bulk for most items, but I don`t sell as much as Miltons,or advertise we sell, because the majority of the things we sell is what we use in the course of our work. If you do require anything don`t hesitate to mail me and I could give you a price or source things for you.

Reply to
Yekal