upgrading alarm panel battery

I currently (!) have about 7 hours of battery backup in my alarm panel. I have had a quote from my alarm provider to extend this to 40 hours by the addition of a couple more batteries and a new 3A charger. Sounds too easy? They want 280 +VAT to do the job - nice work if you can get it!
Presumably I can buy a couple of high quality batteries (Yuasa?) and a suitable charger and do it myself? Anyone done this? Any issues? Hints and tips?
(I need a new charger because the one I have at the moment is only 1A - so they say) Thanks

Just fit the bigger battery. The charger will cope no problem, it will just take longer to recharge if the battery ever gets drained in a mains failure. Battery life will also be extended as you will be charging it at a much lower percentage rate.
Only question: if you are only getting 7 hours out of the battery as is it is probably nadgered. The panel will draw about 50mA tops, your PIRs about 10mA each. 70mA drawn on a 1.2A/h battery should last the better part of 20 hours. Most panels will take a 4A/h easily sizewise.
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com