Unpainting walls?

Hi all, the Forth bridge project (or Our House as it used to be known) is entering another phase. SWMBO has decreed that the hall - stairs - landing area is to be stripped of wallpaper, covered with lining paper and then emulsioned. Great thinks I until I started removing the existing paper and found the interesting aubergine and purple paint scheme underneath (didn't you love the '70s?). Problem is it seems like emulsion but with a plasticky feel to it and in some places where I've used the steam stripper it's come away with the paper. It now looks like a bad case of "flaking skin" for want of a better description and will give a crap finish to the lining paper. Anyone come across this effect before and how do you get the remaining paint off the wall? TIA, Richard

Reply to
Frisket