Underfloor heating

Page 4 of 6

It can make them very paranoid. Everywhere they sit gets nice and warm. Cats as you know have to be in the warmest place so this confuses them greatly - what if somewhere else is warmer? They won't know until they sit on it so this entails setting up an extensive research programme of sitting everywhere in turn.
They usually then settle for the one place you always trip over them of course.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Look at http://www.polyplumb.co.uk and go to their underfloor heating section. They have dedicated zone control boxes for partial underfloor heating as you propose. Contact them and they will send all the underfloor heating brochures. Speedfit do a similar thing.
Make sure the floor you install it in has thick high performing insulation underneath as you don't want to heat the earth under. The insulation should be like a tray, coming up at the sides. The tray is filled in with a cement screed with the side exposed to the same level as the screed, then the final floor finish is over.
It will work fine from a combi.

SC wrote:

It is a bit complex to add on, because you need to use somewhat cooler water for it than for teh rest of teh CH, AND to do it properly iut needs to be timed a little in advance of normal heating, so you end up with things like 3 way controllers, (UF/CH/HW) extra valves or pumps and some form of temp. reduction valve.
On the other hand, if you ar a bit cavalier, you can just lay some flexible butyl pipe in the screed, and pretend its a huge radiator. Its a lot bettr than nothing especially if you have other heating n teh kitchen.
See www.poloyplumb.co.uk for lots of ideas on how to do it the (rather) expensive way.

Cheaper than rads as a lot less heat loss due to convection - and no convection draughts.
Freedom to put furniture anywhere, no hot spots - even warmth.
Very much a DIY install - Nu-Heat for example make an add-on pack for adding underfloor heating to a conservatory, by tapping off existing rad circuit.
Control is different - not on/off, but set back temp, i.e. you set it to go to for example 10 deg lower when unoccupied rather than off - that way it only has to bring up from a background temp rather than from cold. This helps negate the slow response time.
Anybody who has had UFH .... will never go back to rads.
Rick

That's if its designed well, installed so no cold spots on the floor and well controlled. If not then they can be very uncomfortable and nighmare to live with. Having weather compensation helps to alleviate the warm and cold periods, due to the slow response, when the weather suddenly changes.

"SC" wrote

Phew I've started World War III!! But it has brought out a lot of good points.
To summerise: People like underfloor heating, but it needs to be put down well. Issues to consider: are heatup time lag (the changeable Autumn/Spring weather point was good), avoid hotspots, good underfloor insulation, separate controller at boiler, no radiator to hang your wet socks (sorry this is important to me). Good things are: a comfortable heat at lower temps, warm bare toes, radiators not hogging wall space, cosy warm floor for kiddies to roll on, overall lower cost in my situation.
My situation is: this is for a large L-shaped room 20'x20' which will be kitchen/ dining/ living space. Ventilation/ heating are very important as we are combining a cooking and living environment. I only work mornings, home with after school childcare and quite often have to be up at night with wains, so always on heating is fine. The back door will open into a sunroom part of this area - draughts when the door is opened, plus condensation from kitchen activity on sunroom windows.
My experience was of being brought up in a 200yr old farmhouse with only an Rayburn Royal for heat, or open the airing cupboard in the bathroom to take the chill of an enamal bath. Consequently I can stand too much heat, and especially heat convection/hot air heaters. Turns me into a heat hogging zombie with red legs.
What I think maybe good for us will be a separate controller for UF to the combi (located just off this room) and a good control for settings. I will not run the UF round the cooking and dishwasher/ sink area as I would overheat. In addition I will run a slim radiator round under the windows in the sunroom as this will be the coldest area, most prone to condensation, and also give me somewhere to warm socks towels etc.
Whadda think??
NO scrapping boys
Ta Suzanne
SC wrote:

I think, unlike IMM, you have grasped the essentials.
Go for it.

And so concludes our snotty uni man, as he closes his tattered How Things Work book (with real big colour pictures).

IMM wrote:

Now wherever DID you come up with an idea like that...ah. You used to have one, and now are ashamed to admit it, so project your own sense of inferiority onto others.
Hence the snotty uni stuff.
You must eat the chips stuck on your shoulders sonny.

The old last resort, pull from up the sleeve comment. "chip on the shoulder." get real oh snotty uni one.

...says he, always the first to turn the argument Ad Hominem.
"middle englander" "brainwashed" "soldier boy" "snotti uni"
The chips on your shoulder are plain for all to see.
How sad.
-- Richard Sampson

yup, 'course you can.....
-- Richard Sampson
IMM wrote:

Comes from staring at yourself in the mirror too long.
You'll go blind doing that sort of thing.
(PS, look up Narcissus)

I'd always wondered why trolls had hairs on their palms......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

ROFL

I do have something to look at. I am stunningly hansom and a fabulous tango dancer.

You bounder! You ... er ... cab???
-- Richard Sampson

ROLF. Is that back or hackney humour.

IMM wrote:

Precisely.

Oh Andy has just read How Things Work Bokk too.

An Aga. How naff!!!