Underfloor heating

Page 2 of 3

I've some relations who have one (so I have cooked with them) and have been to a couple of other houses where they've been installed, and in all cases they felt the need for a gas or electric hob and oven in addition to the Aga.
AJ
Anthony James wrote:

That is fairly true. There are two things I can't do easily on an aga, one is grill, and the other is very hot stir frying. It does to excellent toast tho.
Its a better oven than any other I have ever used tho.
I still have found that scrambled eggs done in a microwave are teh best scrambled eggs as well.
Frankly, you need it all. :-)
Back on topic: IF you discover you have a not very interesting raised wooden floor that can be replaced with a screeded one (with appropiate insulation and screed) water based UFH plus the cooker-of-your-dreams will I am sure be a fantastic solution.

You surprise me. The floor of the roasting oven is one approach, using the cast griddle pan with ridged bottom is another.

No problem there either. We found a cast iron wok during a trip to France that could be heated in the roasting oven and then used on the boiling plate. I compared results with using a thin metal wok on a wok burner (5kW) that we have with a gas barbecue and they are just as good.

Definitely.
Absolutely. The four oven model especially gives a wide range of temperatures and options.

I would agree with you there. That is one of the few uses that we have for our microwave, and not an essential one. It probably gets used every other day, but that's about it. The other one is for baked potatoes needed quickly. I wouldn't say that the microwave does a "better" job of this than the Aga, rather a different one. The microwave ones tend to be fluffy with soft skins, whereas in the Aga we tend to rub the skins with sea salt (Maldon is best) and bake them. Firmer texture and superb flavoured skins. Hmm. I'll have to have one for my lunch now..... ;-)

Yes and no. I think that it really depends on how much you want to adapt cooking methods.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

K3wL a six-grand toaster that's useles for anything else.
The Aganauts are sooooo gullible.
Wanna buy a gold brick?
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:42:19 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Only if you're inept

You have one to sell?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And a bridge.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:29:21 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

In that case, I would focus on the U.S. market if I were you - they buy that type of thing from the UK.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Part of the Brinks Mat heist?

Steve Firth wrote:

Au contraire, its the best oven bar none for anything.
The plates are perfectly OK for frying, simmering, braising etc.

No, its a good cooker. I have cooked on just about everything, and I do cook a lot - and not just beans on toast either. I can knock up a roast plus 4 vegetables faster on an Aga than anything else. I have developed the best ever technique for rice cooking.
I don't know how much a built in 4 burner setup plus oven and grill costs these days, then add on the cost of room heaters and cooker hoods (not needed) and microwave, and electric kettle, but that has to be the best part of a grand and a bit anyway for decent stuff. And that will be shagged in 15 years max. Agas do 30+ years. So break even puts the aga at about 3 grand roughly - not far short of a small one. Then the heated towel rails etc...Nope.
Its not the most cost effective way to go for limited sapce, and a modern look, but its fabulously nice to use, to copok on and just to have THERE.
As I said, the best bit is that you can come home from wherever, slap a couole of potaoes in teh oven, open a bottle of wine and set the table, stick a pan of water on to tsem some veggies, spal them in, slap a couple odf steaks in the pan and in 35 minutes its a seriously gorgeous meal of fresh cooked fresh produce raring to go.

Nope.

Do tell about rice cooking. I wonder if it's similar to the method we use.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

See alt.cooking.delia.smith

IMM wrote:

Not on yer life.
Carefully measure 40% rice by volume, 60% water. About right for basmati or thai rice. Only types we cook.
Bring to boil with whatever extra ingredients neded - saffron and cinnamon, or coconut cream etc...
then when boiling stuff in covered pan in warming oven till required.

This is basically the same as we do, and I agree, it works very effectively

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Yers...its hard to get it right that way tho. Must try harder..

Mmm. Interesting. I might try that next trip to france.

Ah. The trick is to give em about 15 in the microwave and then pop into the aga.

Indeed. I use the oven far more simply because it is there, and hot, NOW. Part baked frozen bread in 5 minutes to crusty and piping hot from deep freeze..NOTHING else does it that fast. Hot butter dripping out the ends...coated on cheese or smoked mackerel Pate...
Even a gas oven takes some time to warm.
As far as teh plates go, I cannot get QUITE the maximum temp out of them that I can out of a ceramic hob...I guess small time foundry work is out :-(

cheers
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:10:32 -0000, "Anthony James"

That's really more of a question of the cooking methods that one uses. There is a method to do anything that you would do on a "normal" cooker. The issue is generally whether or not people want to adapt their already learned cooking methods or not, but once done, they are just as effective.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I'd wondered about this as well - using UF in the kitchen as a secondary "comfort" heating rather than primary room heating.
However, I have been reading about heat pumps as a means of achieving this rather than electric elements or centrally heated wet supply.
Does anyone have any experience as to the economics or practicalilty of this? Do all systems rely upon a refrigerant in the pipes or can they also use plain water pumped around to utilise the seasonal ground temperature phase lag?
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
RichardS wrote:

I am pretty sure that at some level a refrigerant is needed, because teh majority of heat is dumped by turning the gas into a liquid, and cooling by letting it expand back to a gas. Or something. You need a liquid that will do a phase change at around teh temps and pressures you can practically hold to. If its a nuclear recator, sodium gas is indicated. Wtare is fine, if you are thinkingh of running at a few hundred centigrade and pressures of several atmospheres...but I'd stick to refrigeraant.
Having read other peoples commenst, the simple solution if its only one room and its big enough is an aga and a separate electric cooker, and *insulate the floor well* If suspended, dig up and out, and lay screed floor over insulation. You CAN UF it as well at that stage., but with an aga in a well insulated kitxchen, I actually have the UF almost permanently off in there. Only in very cold spells is it needed. Aga bleeds 600W continuously. More when cooking. I've got slate over 4" screed over 2" polystyrene over supspended concrete block and beam floor. The floor is only cold near the outside of the house - near the aga its warm to touch, so the insulation DOES work.
Aga with electric cooker is BIG, and cots over 6 grand, plus installation of oil or gas etc. But its a nice beast, cooker and room heater combined, and very much recommended if it suits the lifestyle and cooking style.
As is inuslation, insulation and insulation! And extractor fans!

Madness!
Then he goes on to say dig out the floor just to put in a 1930s piece of cast iron. Madness, total madness!!

IMM wrote:

No, digging out the floor was for when you come to visit.
But your U values aren't adequate, so into the septic tank you go!
Plonk!