Ummm, what are they called?

Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you guys probably know already.

Reply to
GB

brass monkey

Oops, I hadn't realised that Bakfin were in Brum.

Reply to
GB

Star washers are the wrong thing to look for. Star washers are used to prevent nuts undoing themselves when subject to vibration (except they don't work very well at that). What you need, if I understand you correctly, are Shaft Rings which are applied to shafts to stop the wheels falling off.

Steve Firth

Dave Osborne

out. Now, who is going to stock them in N London and be open on a Staurday afternoon?

Reply to
GB

Halfrauds is worth a try.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Try in the bicycle repair bit (i.e. scrounge one from the repair guy if they don't have them pre-packed).

Reply to
Dave Osborne

They hadn't a clue, I'm fraid. That's not to say they don't have them, but ...

Reply to
GB

prefer to drill the axle and use an ordinary washer with a split pin outboard of it.

Reply to
John MacLeod

I've prised off enough of them but never thought about what they are called.

Is there an official way of getting them off without scratching up a shaft by the way?

Spamlet

I had the same problem so I wqent to MotherCare and told them what had happened and they gave me a handful of them. Alan>

Reply to
Roberts

OMG - there goes the rest of today....

Reply to
Steve Walker

That site wasted a lot of time for me *last* year...I've used them two or three times...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Destroy them, replace them with new ones. They usually suffer a loss of springiness in being removed anyway.

Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side cutters. Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention ability. If you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Destroy them, replace them with new ones. They usually suffer a loss of springiness in being removed anyway.

Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side cutters. Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention ability. If you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely :D

Reply to
brass monkey

Correction, too much booze. LOL.

Reply to
brass monkey

Surely, thirds would require 3 cuts?

Anyway, I couldn't get hold of one but manage to make a hole in the shaft and used a washer plus a bent piece of metal to hold it on. Proper bodge job, but it seems to be working.

Reply to
GB

Well split pins kept wheels on for centuries that way, so I'd say you were in with a good chance if you had the tools to make the hole. (And if you lost the original retainer, that obviously wasn't a very good method in the first place.)

Spamlet