UK House prices?

Just heard about

where you can see the exact selling price of any house in the UK. Very handy when deciding whether to upgrade your existing house or move to a new one.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Ashworth

Obviously a not up to date site then Just checked a laocal road to me where I know that a fair amount of house buying and selling goes on. Only one on database and that is July 2003. Doesnt give details other than if you pay your money we will tell you the price paid. On that one try I do not think it is that usefull being 18 months out of date

Reply to
Mike Taylor

I live in a semi rural village in South Wales and there are 14 houses listed (that's just my street) including the 2 oposite me that sold most recently

£1 per house just for the "sale price" is on the steap side and relatively useless on it's own. I'd like to know how many bedrooms, etc. whether it has a garage or even a garden...

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

But it's not free.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Where are they getting the data from, anyway?

Reply to
Huge

Bear in mind that it takes a while for house sales to get registered with the Land registry (months I think) for which you can't fault this website.

Another new offering with the same service is at

- I haven't tried it but apparently it's free for a limited period.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi It can be useful. In Scotland where houses are usually advertised with "offers over" a given price and you are interested in similar property/location, it can give you an indication of how high you have to offer to make a succesful bid. I do agree that they can be a bit out of date though Bill

Reply to
bill

there lies the flaw, how do you know it's a "similar property" when you're only given the price and whether it's terraced, detached etc. ?

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Here probably:

on "online Data" and you can search by postcode.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

OK, ta.

Reply to
Huge

I've just tried it. I checked my area, and it found absolutely nothing, but -

found the last 4 sales (one of which I had been unaware of).

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hmm. I've just tried again - and found loads of information.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Ditto, the searching on

is much easier to use.

Reply to
James Naylor

I've just signed up

"During our free access period users are restricted to a total of 500 record result pages with prices until 18 January 2005"

I did find a local house that sold for £66K in November 03, and then sold again to £108K in August 04.

Nice result for someone.

though my Mr Suspicious side suggests it could have been a divorce / inheritance tax fiddle - hence the initially low price.

Reply to
OG

"OG" wrote | I did find a local house that sold for £66K in November 03, and | then sold again to £108K in August 04. | Nice result for someone. | though my Mr Suspicious side suggests it could have been a | divorce / inheritance tax fiddle - hence the initially low price.

If it was a bit of a wreck when it was purchased, and the buyer did it up a la Property Ladder, put in a loft conversion etc - or even had the place underpinned if the foundations were dodgy - then it would not be an unrealistic increase. There might also be a reason why the local (micro) market was depressed in 11/03 or buoyant in 8/04 - a nearby derelict site redeveloped, or a new employer attracting house buyers - which would exaggerate the increase above the normal market conditions.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Very handy thanks. They've extended the free period until 24th Jan and you get 500 free searches.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Thankyou for posting that link. This is going to give me hours of fun :)

Reply to
nthng2snet

What a load of crap!!! The hell I'll pay £1 per house ... are you mad!? Talk about trying to create a market for the hell of it and squeeze every penny you can out of morons. The information isn't even of any use as there's not enough detail for it to mean anything.

al

The Land Registry website is free and gives all the actual average sale prices in your localities, admitted it is 3 months old, though at least it is a true untinkered database.

Reply to
waddy

"...actual average prices"... but that's just the average sale price in your postcode sector, which is likely to cover thousands of properties ranging from mansions to one-roomed studio flats! It will give an indication of the overall state of the market in your locality maybe, but certainly not of the value of your own property.

The site does let you get individual property info too, but you get to pay for that though.

David

Reply to
Lobster