Tumble Dryer Vent

I am remodelling my kitchen and the most logical place for the tumble dryer is against an internal wall. Can it be vented up and out a flat roof. The washing machine can empty the waste water into the soil pipe in a planned toilet/shower room. I planned to vent the toilet out through the flat roof so was wondering if the tumble dryer can vent out the same place. I need to ensure that the hot air from the tumble dryer doesn't vent back into the toilet.

Kevin.

Reply to
Zen83237

Never a good idea to have vents like this through a flat roof; lots of scope for leaks. Certainly possible though.

Pretty sure you wouldn't be allowed to combine the toilet and tumble-drier vents but Building Regs gurus here may know better.

My first thought though is are you sure you need the vent even for the toilet - ie, have you looke into the possibility of fitting it with an air-admittance valve instead?

May or may not be possible depending on various factors; however maybe you've already been down this road?

David

Reply to
Lobster

This is a medium to long term plan that will involve building a kitchen extention and toilet shower room. I am trying to visualise the options before getting any plans done. I don't quite understand how the air admittance valve works so I need to look into that. I have a cooker hood extracting through a flat roof and that is ok.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

instead of spending a fortune on venting the existing TD, why not just purchase a condensing one?

About £150ish.

If you start knocking holes out of a flat roof, it's likely to end up costing you many hundreds of pounds.

Reply to
Phil L

Where conventionally you would have a soil stack venting upwards, you'd basically cap it off with an AAV rather than have it go up through the roof. It uses the fact that you don't (necessarily) need to let air

*out* of the system, but you do need to let air *in* to avoid vaccuum formation and the toilet not flushing etc. The AAV is a one-way valve which lets that happen, ie without letting gas out of sewer into your house; and would be a no-brainer in your scenario provided it's appropriate... there are several conditions eg you can't be at the end of the run of your sewer; at least every 3 or 4 houses(?) has to have a fully open vent etc.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'd be rather more concerned that the toilet smells didn't get back into the tumble drier :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

By 'vent the toilet' does the OP mean 'vent the stack,' or 'vent the WC extractor'?

Might make a wee bit of difference to answers around combining the two.

john.sabine

I'd be concerned about such a long vertical run: what would happen to any water that condenses out of the exhaust stream?

And as others have said, the complications of a long-term weather-proof hole in a flat roof do not appeal.

Sounds like a case for a condensing drier.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Self-flushing toilet? ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I mean vent the room. I should also point out that the existing soil pipe to the upstairs bathroom will have to go through the flat roof. The wc can discharge into the existing soil pipe.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237