TRVs

Block of wood with a just clearance 15mm hole in it and a screw to hold it down to the floor?

Bending isn't a problem but my knees object after a few hours,

From the look of the picture not a lot at for quite a long way around the tip. Obviously a foot or deep and 4" wide for the grips at 90deg to the olive/pipe.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gel kneepads are really helpful for this .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What exactly are they? Most people get cold on their knees at they protrude outwards acting as a good heat sink. Knee warmers are fine for this.

Reply to
IMM

The issue is pressure on the knee joints from prolonged kneeling and is a common problem for plumbers and others who work on their knees a lot like floor tilers, gardeners, Monica Lewinsky etc.

I tried a few different kinds of ordinary ones but found them inadequate for various reasons - uncomfortable, too small etc. .

I found gel filled ones in Home Depot in the U.S. and bought a large size pair. These use the same idea as gel filled wrist wrests for PCs.

They are now available here as well.

plastic shell on the front is flexible but fairly tough. The gel pads are built into the cloth that is in front of and around the knees.

I've used these for several hours at a time and find them really good to use.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't know about Gel kneepads, but thanks to a suggestion on this very newsgroup several months ago I bought a set of kneepads despite never having used them before - and it was one of the best investments I ever made!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Job went fine with no snags. The funny design of TRVs was actually a help, as the 'top hat' olives are easy to remove without damaging the pipe - you simply saw through the top part and slightly down the side and they break with a screwdriver.

Since the new TRVs are reversible, I took the opportunity to swap ends on three of the rads where this would make them more accessible. I've also put them horizontal this time - be interested to see if they control the temp any more accurately being sited slightly further away from the heat source.

The water when drained down was amazingly clean - as were the dribbles from the rads. A tribute to Fernox in a pretty old system. I'll put in the fresh tomorrow after a final check for leaks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've done that with a few and I think it does improve behaviour a bit.

One wonders why people *don't* put this in. It's very cheap insurance.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cowboy plumbers. Saving the cost won't cause problems within warranty time.

My brother has a BG or whatever service contract, and they did the original installation. I've lost count of how many rads they've changed through them corroding and leaking. I'm told they don't use any inhibitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman
[Danfoss TRVs]
  1. Ensure that the system pump is not running.

  1. Remove the TRV sensor head.

  2. Unscrew & remove the 'gland seal' - this is the central hex headed brass assembly which holds the actuator pin. The innards of the valve are now exposed and a slight seepage of water is usual at this point.

  1. Using something small and round, such as a small electrical screwdriver, feel inside for the recess that the actuator pin engages with; this is one end of a rod with the valve cone on its other end. _Gently_ attempt to push this rod from side to side with a circular or waggling motion, increasing the force applied until you start to feel the valve un-stick. The internal spring does the rest and the rod will pop outwards by a few mm, accompanied by a little gush of water (have old towels ready).

  2. Quickly replace the gland seal and tighten.

  1. Press on the actuator pin and ensure that it returns under spring pressure - you can easily distinguish between stuck and unstuck valves by the feel of their pins.

  2. Replace the head.

HTH

Reply to
Andy Wade

In article , Andy Wade writes

[snip instructions]

Very useful, thank you. Printed and filed for reference :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Hey aren't you the same Dave Plowman that said the following:

These are criticisms made against me for not making reference to a previous thread and yet you done exactly the same in a thread about re: TRV's posted

09/12/2003 ?????

What's it like to be caught out and embarrassed.

HYPOCRITE

Mike P.

************************************

Below is the content of your thread without reference to the subject!.

--

*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now * Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk London SW 12 RIP Acorn
Reply to

Mike,

You hit the nail on the head Mike. This what he wears, yes he does...he said... "Well, I got a rather flash pair of DeWalt boots from TLC, so there.;-)"

Mike, sad isn't it.

He also attempts to give advise and criticise views "Mine managed over 10 years without being touched before it needed a clean. 'Sooting up' once it starts, happens very quickly."

He didn't have his gas boiler serviced for over 10 years.

I know what you mean Mike. I know what you mean.

Reply to
IMM

I'm flattered that you should remember my posts from years back.

I wish I could return the compliment, but yours tend to get forgotten even while reading.

At last you've found a soul mate. Can we expect a happy event?

Reply to
Dave Plowman