Tricky Ceiling Papering Question

I'm having to paper the ceiling in a room which still has furniture in. The existing woodchip was stuck directly onto the plasterboard (no skim) and painted with what I think is vinyl emulsion.

Steam or lots of water aren't allowed, so I've covered the furniture and dry scraped as much of the woodchip off as I can. I've got rid of the high spots leaving a fairly flat but patchy finish - bits of paint, paper, plasterboard exposed.

My question is how best to prepare and paper this surface. E.g. should I use PVA first? Is any sort of paper best if I want to avoid using lining paper? Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
Steve

My instinct is tell me that I would emulsion it first to "seal" all those bare and flaky bits that would suck up the wall paper paste and then go for a thick/strong paper.

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike2

Thanks Mike. I'll try that. Steve