Triangular shank masonry drill bit

I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what type they are and what drill takes them?

John

Reply to
John

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A normal chuck has three jaws and should grip them without a problem. I have a couple of bits with hex shanks that are for use in a three jaw chuck.

Reply to
dennis

A carpenters hand brace took tapered square shank bits. There may be other types of hand brace.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, hand brace. I have a set of screwdriver bits like that. Not sure I'd ever need a masonry bit in a brace though

Reply to
stuart noble

Certainly not a hand brace. They tend to have square shanks. It looks too chunky for a normal drill chuck though I've not tried it in one. Certainly the marks on it look like it fits in a purpose designed triangular fitting.

John

Reply to
John

ISTR that Hilti had their own "standard" in the days before SDS.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

try google

TMC

try google

TMC

sorry for double post chair keyboard interface error

Reply to
TMC

Reply to
dennis

Dunno. This one looks quite good:

Andy Champ

It agrees with what I said so it must be good.

Reply to
dennis