Is this drill bit (see link) for masonry?

Is this drill bit for masonry? (It looks a bit too pointy.)

Quest-O

In article , Quest-O writes

lasted well, pointy bit & all.

Reply to
fred

Looks like a worn wood bit to me. Don

Reply to
Donwill

I can't see a carbide tip.

Reply to
John

I came across a bloke "sharpening" a drill bit for steel the other day. He had made the tip pointed like a spear and the cutting edges were completely useless. I took it off him and sharpened it properly as my old metalwork master taught us years ago. Is drill sharpening a dying art because of our throwaway society?

Reply to
cynic

Faced with a flood of cheap goods from China, just about every skill you can think of is a dying art.

Reply to
Bruce

Very much. I resharpen HSS bits to steeper angles for wood use, and am quite used ot being told it cant be done and wont work!

NT

Reply to
NT

Maybe he wanted to clean his nails?

Reply to
dennis

In message , Bruce writes

That's why peoples' eyes light up when they come into my factory we actually DO something

I get comments like"I didn't realise that places like this still exist "

Reply to
geoff

Interesting ... what do you make, or do?

Reply to
Bruce

It certainly looks like it, but they would have baulked at a bit of steel that I had to drill some many years ago by hand.

In the list of hardness of a twist drill

1 shed twist drills made out of chalk, or cheese. 2 HSS twist drills that are quite good. If ground right. 3 Cobalt twist drills that are better. 4 C1150 twist drills that are even harder and better. 5 D200 twist drills which are even better still. and finally 6 Solid tungsten carbide drills that will drill through most very hard metals.

Unfortunately, I have had problems finding the C1150 and D200 drills.

Using a D200 2.5 mm twist drill, I had to go and grind it every 3 holes it drilled. You couldn't see anything wrong with the cutting edge, but it would just rub the steel instead of cutting it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What sort of product do you produce, please.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We repair fans and pcbs for central heating boilers mainly, but turn our hand to various other related things

Reply to
geoff

Yes, there is a correct angle for drilling all sorts of materials. With wood, you have to make sure that the twist drill does not corkscrew itself into the wood and become jammed. Similar with copper.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

geoff

It would be easier and safer to use a scalpel.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks.

Reply to
Bruce

A living :-)

My last job was working for a Danish company. When you visited the factory the first thing you could smell was the lubricant used on the cutting tools. Was it called 'suds'?

Haven't come across that smell in the UK for ages.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can see the reason for the comments now :-) It's usually something from the past, is that trade. I always try to repair, if possible. Currently, I have a power shower pump in bits, hoping that I can get it working again. All it needs is another set of brushes, but I can't see how they come out.

DIY rules here :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Oh! Many thanks for asking that, I will go to bed with a spinning brain now and no, the wife is away for about 10 days.

Dave

Reply to
Dave