Transporting carpet.

Congratulations. (I think.)

And what are you getting him?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Is that a euphemism?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Of course it is.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I haven't done it many times folded carpet into a square to get it in a van. Got it home and unfolded it without any problems.

Matt

Reply to
matthelliwell

Doors open whilst driving, but tied to stop them swinging about. Most vans expect this to happen, so the doors already have suitable loops and hooks to tie to easily.

"Bungee" is elastic rope. You can use this, or plain rope if you can tie the knots to hold tight, or one of the easiest ways is to use a ratchet luggage strap with a metal clip.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't do what I did. I carried a long length of carpet on my trailer and in going round a roundabout, the carpet fell off right in front of a police car. Fortunately the police thought it was funny enough not to nick me.

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Yep... I'd suggest using ratchet straps to hold the carpet down in the van anyway, just so it doesn't bounce itself out the back with every bump. (you can get packs of four medium-duty straps for $10 here, which is about 6 quid*)

  • plus an octopus with a tummy ache ;)

check UK road regs - I've moved 12' long loads in a truck with an 8' load- bed over here lots of times before, but I hang something visible from the end of the load so people don't run into it; I think the police might get upset otherwise. Most hardware stores around here have a handy stash of free red plastic 'rags' for just this purpose.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

From that then, I assume that some types of carpet are more prone to permanent damage by folding.

There is a carpet fitter lives across the road, if I see him knocking about, I'll ask him.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Don't, whatever you do allow the rolls to droop unsupported off the ends of a roofrack or similar, or they will become creased where they are bent.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard