Touch lamp

I have a table lamp which lights, changes brightness & goes off in response to touching it.

Perfect for where it's used, but it's pink! The base seems to be some kind of pottery. If I paint it with emulsion - will it still work?

Reply to
David Lang

My mother had one by her bed. Got it in Aldi IIRC. Much easier than groping in the dark for a switch. As to whether painting it will stop it working, I've no idea, but you could try a postage-sized patch round the back as an experiment, or even touch it with your hand in a poly-bag or rubber glove, to see if conductivity is important, or whether it's a capacitance effect.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

just switch it on and off with 100w of RF ..........

Reply to
Jimbo in the shack ...

In message , Chris Hogg writes

I understood it is capacitance.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wot dat?

Reply to
David Lang

Someone for sure will suggest an Arduino, a load of optical interfaces, power supply and leads ... about 10x the price of the lamp and ugly as sin .... to do the same thing.

Reply to
rick

Black magic. Or in your case pink magic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sigh. No Google on your planet?

Huge

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store electric charge.

When you rub your feet on a nylon carpet, your body becomes a capacitor and stores an electric charge.

When you touch the ear of the boy sitting next to you, a spark jumps across to his ear and gives him a static electric shock. This is your body discharging.

At least that's how it worked in French lessons in school. (The French classroom was the only one with carpet.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, paint will make no difference.

Reply to
Peter Parry

And I thought you were going to say 'the French teacher was the only one with nylon knickers'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your body always was a capacitor. Your rubbing action charges it up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Would I be rubbing my feet on the French teacher's directoires?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I dunno. Would you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which bit?

Are you saying it has no metallic outer pieces? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also if you have a cat, then these things tend to be an issue as climbing cats tend to operate them just as well as we do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Absolutement non.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It doesn't.

Reply to
David Lang

According to 1 Corinthians 6:19, your body is a Temple - so suggesting it's also a capacitor might start an unholy row.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

An induction into a new line of argument I see.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr