touch sensitive lamp

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you tou ch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA Pete
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petek wrote:

ouch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but wh en I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I'v e changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA

If you don't know what the problem is you don't know how to repair it. Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the touch controller is fried it may be bypassable.
NT
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 1:50:40 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I 've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and i f it is repairable? TIA

ve you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the tou ch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

Yes, I've checked all the obvious stuff. My question about it being repaira ble could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive l amps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller?) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replacea ble or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 14:23:31 UTC+1, petek wrote:

ou touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles throug h 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time bu t when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA

Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the t ouch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

rable could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive lamps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller? ) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replac eable or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?
Yes there's an internal controller. I don't know if you might find a replac ement from Ebay, or if it would be safe. The alternative is to bypass the t ouch switch.
NT
Some of them only need a brief touch a long touch will do nothing at all if its off, only if its been touched to on. What is the make of this device? Brian
--
----- --
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 14:23:31 UTC+1, petek wrote:

rable could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive lamps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller? ) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replac eable or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?
Could be, might be.... but a picture or description would help or even modl e number or something. I wouldn't have thought it'd be worth by-passing.
On 22/05/2019 14:23, petek wrote:

in general you can pick up hum from any metal connecteed to a human... When I designed a similar circuit we had a cmos chip behind it to boost and latch te signal
My giues is there si either a custom chip or a standard CMOS chip inistde. If its custom bin it.
--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

Bin the control and either fit a physical switch to bridge them or link the wires and fit a switch in the lead from the plug to the lamp.
SteveW
Little bit vague. Depends on how it works. Some of the older ones merely picked up hum through your body and could be finicky about where they were operated, some ar capacitance operated and people used to polish them and the dirty polish shorted out the insulators between the touch bit and the rest making it whatever the touch equivalent of deaf might be called. Then again even corrosion of the bit that connects to the bit you touch can do it. I myself never had much luck with touch switches they would come on when not wanted, fail to turn off or just do odd things. I blame my magnetic personality. Brian
--
----- --
On 22/05/2019 12:57, petek wrote:

Plenty of touch sensitive switches on ebay for less than £3.
--
Michael Chare

On 22/05/2019 12:57, petek wrote:

What type is the replacement bulb. It may not work with LED or CFL.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 12:57:35 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:

ouch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but wh en I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I'v e changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA

Thanks everybody, looks like my best bet is to bypass whatever "internal co ntroller" there is and fit an in-line conventional switch in the lead. For what it's worth here's a link to the make/model https://www.endon.co.uk/products/product-detail/656-fl-sc-hackney
Well if the company do still exist surely they might want to help? Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -