; TOT; Piggin passwords

You are using windows. "They" probably already have it.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

As I suspected, you are a bot and so have no fingerprints.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I count on my fingers since mine has 13 characters. I can remember the first two or three and cetianly the last two, but the ones in between need a bit more work.

Reply to
charles

The moral of this story is once you have pressed "enter" you have *no idea* what happens to your password. Yet another reason for never reusing passwords.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

so would amazon be important, and how about say the national lottery or your email, or apple or yuor reward points card or yuor computer or phone cable TV access, could the cide be the same as yuor PIN number.... Then there's those you use at work.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The latter gives away the size of the passphrase which I think is why there has been a move away from it.

Reply to
AnthonyL

what does spelling have to do with it the best passwords aren't spellable they even tell you not to use words in teh dictonary, how many wordss can you spell that arn't in the dictionary that yuo can remmeber.

who can;t remebr how to spell password.

but what if your password was psswrdao as a clue to the clueless I used this system for a while . you take a known name/word you can spell and rememeber but use constants 1st, then add the vowels at the end. or visa versa. Or how about turning your keyboard upside down, but this ,ight only work if you are a touch typist.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Didn't a consumer show have someone complaining that their bank wouldn;t allow them to use an obscene password, well f*ck them I'd say.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The password manager concept is also being pulled apart. Mine can generate passwords but the often are not accepted by the host.

I can copy username and password to clipboard but increasingly sites do not allow these to be pasted.

Whilst I may know my passphrases fairly well I find it a struggle to pick out the 3rd, 7th and 9th characters without writing it down - though I have them written down in my password manager with the position type above, though the editor is not fixed font so another pain.

Other sites require the entry to be via their little keyboard which jumbles the numbers up so I have to look for each one in a weird position.

And as a part of extra security my password manager will not accept biometric finger print access - no doubt for fear that someone has pinched my finger for nefarious purposes.

I do try to have different passwords for different sites especially where banking/finance are involved.

I'm with the OP on this. It's becoming a PITA and I hope someone comes up with a better way.

Reply to
AnthonyL

my bank has that system. I wish visa verification was like that.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You're from Norfolk? :)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Tim Streater scribbled

I only have one set of fingerprints. I can change passwords all day long, I can't change my fingerprints. We know websites are constantly under attack to obtain passwords. What happens if someone gets a copy of my fingerprints? I don't mean a photograph, in case you're thinking along those lines.

Reply to
Jonno

whisky-dave scribbled

The keys can't be reached if you turn the keyboard upside down.

Reply to
Jonno

Jethro_uk scribbled

How secure is the 'cloud' ? How secure is your access to the 'cloud' ?

Reply to
Jonno

It would also be poorer security, since it discloses the length of the secret word, which may be all an attacker needs to select one of several possible options.

Its the same reason that when you fail to log into a system it does not (or at least should not) distinguish between an unknown account name and a wrong password - thus preventing giving useful information to an attacker.

Reply to
John Rumm

What - details anyone could know from a cheque, etc?

The old way - which still works here - is surname, online banking membership number, passcode number and memorable word. The memorable word bit asks for a random two letters from it, using a drop down menu.

The only details of which that would be easy to find being the surname.

Or, of course, the PIN sentry device.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. But so many sites need a password where I couldn't really care if someone hacked it. Just the important ones which could cost me money.

For example, if someone found out my Ebay password, they might well do mischief. But if they got my Paypal one...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely most would realise whether it could cost you if your password was found out or not? Only an idiot would use the same password for a bank account etc as Facebook.

Except, of course for paranoids like the turnip. Those who think themselves so important that the world is interested in their tiniest detail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

unless it's the one used for the password manager.

unless they nick the device you use for whatever.

what happens if that machine dies, or gets stolen.

My system works I have a 'crib' sheet written in a particualar app which has all my passwords stored crypitaclly. so if yuo found out that

Ferritors monthly, users name dave, password "61"

how would you get to my Ferritors monthly subscription ? what would you type for the password ?

but when I've forgotten my password I go to that document type in my master password and I see the number 61, and then I remmeber..... as a kid at school, me and my mates had codes. And rather than say to my mates corrrr.. look at the arse on that... I'd wink and say sixty-one and nod in a direction which actually means look at her/that "sexybum".

sort of cockney slang.

of course you might not know that any passwrod I use for finacail stuff such as buying/selling I always spell in reverse or I always add 01 to the beginning or at the end or I use a "-" every 3 characters or it always ends in uppercase.

If you have a reasonable memory and can set yourself rules then having lots of passwords isn't as big a problem as it might seem.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm not keen on private companies who store your credit card details so anyone with your password for that site could buy and pay for things. Unless there is a further card check like I often get with Barclaycard, which requires an additional password.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)