tommy walsh + plasterboard

Watching a tommy walsh from 2002. Just noticed he is perpetuating the idea that you plaster on the grey reverse side of the plasterboard. Is this definitely wrong ? Every time I have convinced myself I hear otherwise ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It used to be the case, but generally is not so now. Most boards specify decorating and plastering on the same (light) side.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was a must do whenthe jointing was hemp tape. The grey side is dished to allow a layer of skim then the tape then the covering layer to bring it level with the surface.

And then the whole wall needed to be skimmed first and second layer. It was an art form to get the whole lot done quickly. These days glass fibre adhesive tape is more commonly used allowing the flush side to be used.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I don't think the dark side is even dished these days - hence the availability of taper edge board for joint and fill finishing.

Reply to
John Rumm