Toilet cistern question

We have a toilet cistern with one of those dual-flush split buttons in the lid, B&Q's Cooke&Lewis own brand (whoever they are!). Recently, due to water board work on the mains supply in our area, we've been getting fine grit or sand coming through the supply pipes and appearing in the toilet bowl. I assume there's quite a lot more in the cistern itself, but how do I dismantle the split button arrangement on the lid to get it off and clean the cistern out?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There's usually an outer ring that unscrews. You might be able to get fingernails under it to get a grip or perhaps use one of those 'jar lid unscrewers' to undo it a bit.

I've used a pipe wrench (well padded to prevent damage to the ring)

Once the ring is off lift off the lid. There are several different layouts of inside fittings.

John M

Reply to
JTM

Yes, thanks, I've got it now. I guessed it was something like that, but it was a bit tight and I was reluctant to use too much force in case I was doing the wrong thing.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The connection is ofetn a Bowden cable (flexible) so you can remove the lid without disconnecting it.

Reply to
harryagain