Toilet cistern doughnut leaking

I've just had to replace the innards of a close-coupled toilet cistern, which necessitated removing and 'uncoupling' it from the toilet. The actual replacement of the components went fine, however I was worried about re-using the original foam doughnut which sealed the cistern to the toilet, as it turned out to be quite deformed. And sure enough, a minor flood ensued when I flushed the toilet.

I've just been out and bought a new doughnut from the local plumber's merchant - the only one they had in stock - it was a 1.5" i.d. foam round ring (unlike the original which had hexagonal indents to match the plastic nut); the new ring was nothing like as snug. I fitted that (I could feel the foam compressing as I tightened up the two fixing bolts under the cistern) but just the same result - flooded bathroom.

What's the trick here? Do I need a bespoke doughnut which fits my cistern or something? Or should I just cover everything with sealant? plumber's mait?

Reply to
Lobster

There are at least 4 different types of doughnut, so just get the one that is similar to yours, from a better plumbers merchant.

Reply to
A.Lee

I did wonder when I rad this if something like a crack exists in the plastic parts that opens when bolted down. Cisterns are pretty got filled places in the first place, so these issues can easily be missed. Are the manufacturers still in business? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

In my case lots of silicone sealant. I didn't want to tear it apart again!!

Reply to
Fredxxx

They are not reusable.

None of them come with hexagonal indents - they deform that way to match the parts. (Part of the reason they can't be reused.)

There are different sizes. Note that the original one will have been bigger when new than it appears now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Actually, they do.

A.Lee