Leaking Cistern

I had to replace the syphon in the close coupled wc and now I can't stop the damn thing from leaking. I have fitted a new rubber bung so what is the knack for getting the thing to seal properly. The next step will be copious amounts of sealer but I dont see that it should need that.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Do you mean that it's leaking into the pan or from the join between cistern and pan?

What type of siphon is it? The old fashioned kind or the lifting flap kind?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is it leaking from between the cistern and pan when flushed, into the pan all the time, or between the cistern and pan all the time?

The rubber bung - do you mean the rubber ring at the cistern/pan joint? If so, was it exactly the same size as the old one? Has it been slightly crushed on one side when fitting?

More info required, but undoubtedly it will be a simple fix, unless you have cracked the new siphon when replacing it. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It is a modern cistern, about 6 years old. It is leaking between the cistern and the pan so I assume it is leaking when it is flushed. The original bung was an expanded foam type, quite heavily deformed. I replaced the syphon on Friday night as I couldn't flush the wc, the original bung leaked quite a lot so this morning I got a new one but this is a solid rubber one. It doesn't leak as badly as the old one. I guess that I can try and get something closer to the original but I can't really see why this one is leaking so I assume it is just my technique in fitting it.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

It may be that the top surface of the entry to the pan and the underside of the cistern are not a good fit and the water is simply pushing past the rubber collar. A foamy doughnut will probably fix it.

I would avoid using sealant because you will have difficulty separating the components in the future.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can it be the bolts that hold the two together? (a bit vague on the exact assembly - but I recall washers being important)

Reply to
John

This is what Plumbers Mait is for! Doesn't set as such, so easy enough to get off in future. Use a small amount in conjuction with the rubber doughnut.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes agreed. I had silicone in mind when I wrote that and that would be a bad idea. Putty stuff is reasonable as you say and has a wonderful smell, unlike silicone.

Reply to
Andy Hall