One Piece Toilets

Hello All

I'm on the search for a new WC and have come across a one piece toilet. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm assuming here that fitment would be a lot easier negating the need for copious amounts of silicone. Sounds like an easy option to me and looks pretty slick too.

Advice, comments

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Is this the sort of thing that's intended to be used in caravans and boats?

I've no experience of them - but would need to be satisfied that it was easy to get at the internals when maintenance was required. I would also like to be satisfied that I could use generic replacement parts (syphon, float valve, etc.) rather than needing anything fancy - and likely expensive!

What's with this "copious amounts of silicone"? I've fitted several close-coupled toilets over the years - and have never used *any* silicone!

Reply to
Set Square

I think he means the type with the cistern and pan made from the same moulding.

The sealing plugs must have actually stopped the water leaking out, which not everyone finds to be the case!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've fitted half a dozen close coupled loos over the past few years, zero silicone, zero leaks.

Reply to
Grunff

Actually, I didn't read the original post in close enough detail. I was thinking of low cistern flush pipe types, rather than close coupled.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A "low level" rather than "close-coupled" may well be a different kettle of fish - I've never done one of those.

Close coupled toilets have a bungy doughnut affair to seal between the cistern and the pan. It's always best to replace these if you have to remove the cistern for any reason - because they get compressed, and don't seal as well next time.

Reply to
Set Square

They've been used on the continent for years now, and are just becoming more available in the UK in recent years. There doesn't seem to be any differences in the plumbing to and from them, so they should be fine to use like any other loo system.

They're just a cistern permanently attached to the loo bowl after all. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in news:0Hcye.62334$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I'd be rather nervous (I've never seen one, I assume they're one bit of ceramic) that they might break around the middle with a tension between the floor and wall fixings. Mine have always had a bit of movement there due to the doughnut

mike

Reply to
mike ring

They don't fix to the wall Mike. There is no need to have multi fixing points on them. In fact, they sit quite well on a level floor by themselves. A big Vitreous China chair really. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in news:fmhye.62729$G8.10168 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Wow, just found a picture of one - it looks extremely tasty.

But when I get up for a drink of water after a heavy night, will the lid fall on me head?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

ROFLMAO!!!! Daft Bugger!!! The lid won't fall any more than it does now. :-) LOL

Just thinking of the times I've called God on the great white china telephone. :-) LOL

Ohhhhhh Gaaaawwwwwd!!!

Reply to
BigWallop