Timber Definitions

I understand PAR and sawn timber, but wandering around B&Q the other day - well it was raining - I came across "scant".

What is scant and what can it be used for?

I have to construct a light roof over a passage between the garage and shed and wondered if this could be used - it is cheaper than sawn carcass for the same dims.

Is this suitable?

Steve

Reply to
80/20

The message from "80/20" contains these words:

Yes, no trouble. Provided the size is OK for any joist hangers or whatever you're using. It's sort of half way between sawn and CLS.

Reply to
Guy King

=================== I think this is the same stuff that Wickes sell under a different name / description. As far as I know it's an inferior grade PAR timber and the corners are planed off for some reason. It appears to come in short lengths and small sizes only (about 6 feet / 3" x 2"). At least that's all I've seen in Wickes. I've used some for shelving uprights in my shed and it still looks OK after about 5 years.

Your proposed use (light roof) shouldn't be a problem if you can get suitable lengths.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 276 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

I think its intended for studwork.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wot CLS stand for? Often wondered.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks folks for your quick answers.

Yes it is a light roof - Onduline Corrugated sheets.

Steve

Reply to
80/20

=================== It must be available in longer lengths than I've seen then as 6' isn't much use for studwork. Maybe Wickes just buy the stuff that nobody else wants. Is there any particular reason why the corners are planed off?

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 276 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

Canadian (or Construction, depending on who you believe) Lumber Standard.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "80/20" contains these words:

Make sure they're well supported or they'll undulate very soon.

Reply to
Guy King

Canadian Lumber Standard.

Also, if you go to a timber yard dealing predominantly in construction timbers, it is known as "regularised", although that usually means pressure treated as well.

There's a Travis Perkins near here that does more or less only this and has good quality stock that can be picked through anyway to avoid bananas. Take a section through this and it's obvious that it has been pressure treated - dye has penetrated quite some way into the timber. Not the case with offerings from Wickes, B&Q et al.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is there

Interfering busybodies (aka Heath and Safety) - to stop poor didums joiners getting splinters. Well, that's what I was told.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

The other explanation is that with relatively smooth surfaces and corners, the rate of spread of fire across the surface is reduced.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

My local independent timber yard reckons it's getting increasingly hard to get anything else. Thinking about it, it's a lot nicer to handle, the sizes are more predictable and accurate and it's easier to measure accurately for lapjoints etc. It's also a good deal easier to sort through to chuck out the bananawood that every bundle seems to have. I've got a bit sawn off the side of a bit of 4x2 which you could use as a hockeystick.

Given the size of the plant (!) that produces lumber these days it's probably very little extra hassle to put another machine in the line.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I've just emailed the Canadian Lumber Standards Accreditation Board and asked 'em.

Wonder if they'll know!

Reply to
Guy King

Certainly for constructional work, I think that that's true. There seems to be CLS in smaller sizes that is not pressure treated, but the larger stuff is.

I tend to buy the larger stuff and then rip, plane and thickness it to the required sizes

You can also get joinery grade timber, but that's a different thing entirely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

There's a lot about it here...

Guy King

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Thanks for reminding me - I must ring the woodyard and ask where the cedar for my conservatory door's got to!

Reply to
Guy King

A joiner once told me that it meant "Cannae layit straight" (Say it with a broad Scottish accent like mine :~)

Well, it amused me!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

Yes, it is great. You can slide the entire length over ungloved hands without needing to find your tweezers. Much nicer to work with.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think this is what the Canadians used to term "SPF" i.e. it could be anything within the spruce, pine, or fir categories. One of the reasons it's only used for construction is that it blunts cutters quickly and finishes badly. The sheds have used it for skirting etc in recent years but it's pretty poor quality compared to the European Redwood you'd get from a pukka merchant

Reply to
Stuart Noble