tiling walls in bathroom without skirting board

I will be retiling the walls of the bathroom. The bathroom has had skirting boards up until now, however I would like to have the tiles go all the way down to the chipboard floor (which will be covered with 6mm ply and vinyl tiles at a later stage). However, there is a gap at the bottom of the wall as follows:

In the case of the exterior walls, the plasterboard is dot-and-dabbed onto breeze blocks. Depending on which section, the plasterboard stops between 1

5mm and 32mm above the floor.

In the case of the interior walls, the partitions are Paramount modules. At floor level, there is a 50mm high batten. Above that, there is a 20 mm hig h batten and above that the plasterboard. The face of the 50mm high batten is in the same plane as the surface of the plasterboard, but the 20 mm batt en is recessed by about 10mm.

Do I need to fill the resulting gaps with something before tiling, or simpl y rely on the tiles to bridge the gaps? The tiles are 20cm high x 31 cm wid e x 8mm thick.

Reply to
noos999

Wise move - I did that.

Can you overline the PB with waterproof board? I would strongly consider that as any leakage through a slightly failed bit of tile grout destroys PB.

As to the floor interface, tiles with bridge a bit (say 10mm) but you would not want to go much further.

I would also not grout the wall-wall joints or the wall-floor joints - I would fill with sealant (probably an MS Polymer rather than silicone) as you may get some movement at these points.

Reply to
Tim Watts

1/. Do your silicone sealing *before* tiling. 2/. Use tile cement to fill any huge gaps. 3/. Tile with waterproof cement (Evostik best I found) 4/. Grout
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the gap is at the bottom making the like a cantilever if viewed from behind this is not good. They will get kicked and either fall off or crack. If the gap is in the middle of the time, it might be OK, but never tried it. I hate tiling, by the way, now I'm blind I have to get a man in. Indeed I think having to tile all day should be a punishment instead of prison for some criminals......:-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to The Natural Philosopher, YorkshireDave wrote: Use a proper *flexible* powder based tile cement by the likes of Weber or BAL NOT DIY rubbish like Evostick if you wish it to last. It really doesn't matter whether you seal before or after. Personally I do it post tiling as it is always neater - which matters. It also means you can remove it when needed to replace it which you cannot do properly if you do it before. Make sure you use the correct grout for the gap size too. Take advice from a proper tiling shop NOT any of the Sheds.

Reply to
YorkshireDave