Tiling Bathroom Walls & Ceiling???

We've had moisture problems in one of our bathrooms (mainly teen-aged kids) that over the years has caused mold, peeling paint (both latex and oil-based), peeling wallpaper, etc. My wife is tired of re-working the bathroom and wants this work to last for many years and so she came up with the idea of putting ceramic tile on *all* of the walls and ceiling. Right now we have tile in the bathtub surround only. BTW, we did install a bathroom vent fan a number of years ago and it helped but didn't solve the problem.

So, what are the pros/cons of tiling the entire bathroom? Do we need to do anything special to the painted ceiling before we start sticking tile to it? What keeps the tiles up while the glue/thinset are setting?

Reply to
Fred Mayfield

Yes Done right it will protect the bathroom surfaces, but it will not help prevent mold. My aunt had a '20's home with a bath like that. Not my choice.

What I do suggest is a good vent fan and if necessary, connect it so it runs from the light switch or a motion sensor switch so they can't forget to use it. Good means it will be quiet and will move a lot of air.

If you don't move the moisture out some where, it is still going to be there to cause mold and other damage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Downside: it gives the room a very institutional look. And create echoes like a bat cave.

Your call.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Tiles on the walls and cieling will likely increse the thermal mass of the room making condensation more likely but on a surface that will not absorb it so the resulting damage will be less.

Reply to
PipeDown