Thread on Gas Bottle valves

Does anyone have info. on the thread used on common butane gas bottles? - the type which have a 'clip-on' regulator. Also is it RH or LH threaded? I have a redundant bottle for which I have another purpose (comp. air) after properly purging it.

-- Any help TIA Please reply to Newsgroup scrambled address

Reply to
mutley

Cretin troll, or I should say, I hope so.... :~((

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Why so??

Reply to
Grunff

Well, AFAICR butane is stored at about 15psi and propane up to 100psi. Compressed air may be stored at much higher pressures. Under these circumstances, using a gas bottle for compressed air storage would be unwise, possible fatal and almost certainly illegal. While I am not averse to the imaginitive use of stuff for things other than its original purpose, in this case I'm with Jerry. The OP's either not a troll, which is *very* worrying (especially for his neighbours) or he is and will get a large hole blown in his rickety bridge (fol-de-rol).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ok, agree so far.

It /may/ be.

What really counts is the rated pressure of the cylinder, not the pressure that's usually used for the gas it's holding. Gas cylinders are hugely overengineered, to withstand the abuse they are likely to take in everyday use. Most have a max pressure stamped on them.

Reply to
Grunff

And were are you going to install the drain valve, the pressure relief valve or the pressure gauge, all of which should be on the tank and not on bits of pipe - the drain valve can't even be fitted anywhere other than the tank for that matter.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If you invert the cylinder, you can stick a T on it, the lower one is the drain, and the upper one is the air connection, with pressure relief and guages attached. I see no inherent danger in having the guages and relief valves connected by short (10cm max) large bore tubing. All guages and valves should be detachable for inspection, and there must be no shut-off valves anywhere in the system between the guages of course. Having said this, my use of such a cylinder for storing compressed gas would be only with a 4" concrete surround, spaced 1" from the cylinder, just in case (with a blow-off lightweight top).

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you want an air line full of water you can ! The air take off needs to be off the bottom of the tank, the drain needs to be at the bottom of the tank - note the word *tank*.

I do, pipe work can become blocked, especially when the unit isn't used often...

Quite correct, also most compressor have an inlet to the tank and an outlet, I suppose it's possible to use just one but you have to wonder why it's done very often....

Considering that proper pressure vessels (for use in compressed air supplies) are available and for that matter so are compressors for home / DIY use are available even in Halfords these days why risk you life (or the shirt off your back) on a DIY c*ck up ?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

For a start there is no normally accessable thread on a butane bottle that uses a clip on regulator (I've just looked at the 17kg bottle here). There is a red plastic plug in the side of the fitting but not sure what that is for. I would assume some sort of safety blow out if the cylinder gets to hot and/or over pressure. Better to have a fing great big flame than than an even bigger explosion...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Remind me of the 60s when at RAF Stafford, the local agricultural merchants caught on fire. Very exciting, one gas bottle zoomed into the air and landed in Curry's, a few doors up. Eat your heart out Harry Potter!

Reply to
Broadback

Did Currys burn down as well?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nearly - but all the locals had a very hot curries that evening ;-)

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I though you would have though that there would have been some hot TV's and record players being sold cheap ! :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Err Dam and blast...

No, I'm not trying to tell you what you should have thought !

That what happens when one changes ones mind about what one wants to says. :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

This may be a silly question but why don't you use an old compressed air cylinder rather than an old butane cylinder?

Reply to
Bob Mannix