This plug doesn't look legal to me.

I don't know what the specific rules are, but this mains plug doesn't look legal to me, it'S a bit on the minimalist side.

It came in one of these type of things, that I borrowed from a friend:

Not necessarily that seller, but there are lots the same on Ebay

Reply to
chris French

Does it contain a fuse? If so, not sure why it wouldn't be?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

chris French was thinking very hard :

It is a black import, it has no fuse in the plug. I would also guess that the PSU is not approved/ has no genuine CE mark.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No fuse, I don't think that is legal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't think they are as they're unfused. What's more, if you try cutting it off and replacing it with a conventional plug, you'll find that the conductors are incredibly skinny (maybe they're meant to be the fuse??) and not suitable for fitting into a conventional plug.

They really ought to be returned to the sellers IMO. We had one on a replacement laptop power supply.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I doubt it, I've got a similar example, also I think there is insufficient "buffer" area around the pins (even though they are sleeved).

Reply to
Andy Burns

You are right, its unsafe. Bin it.

Yup, a common problem with lots of kit bought in from China. Pretty sure I have had similar plugs with that sort of drive adaptor myself.

Reply to
John Rumm

Even if fused (which it isn't) it would not meet BS 1363 in terms of pin spacings from the edge of the plug, pin end shapes (and hence could damage the contacts in the socket), and no doubt in a number of other ways you can't see.

See:

John Rumm

a bit about sleeved earth pins.

Reply to
Martin Crossley

In message , chris French writes

Thanks for posting the photo, I had heard of these, but not seen one. Apart from the apparent lack of a fuse there is the problem of the half shielded earth pin. From what I've heard and from thinking about how the plug mates with the socket the problem will be that when the plug is fully into the socket the earth contact of the socket will be mating with the plastic shield and not the earth pin. An interesting concept............

Reply to
Bill

May well be an Indian or Malaysian plug? Those countries use plugs that look like UK ones, but wiring is (if done properly, which is sometimes doubtful) more likely to be 15A radial rather than 30A ring, and thus there is less need for a plug fuse.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

What are the rules on appliances with non shrouded pins. This house is full of them and I've never managed to get a shock yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't wear a metal chain holding your identity card when you lean into a floor dip to plug something in.

Reply to
charles

Then again, with the undersized flex and the fake fuse in some of them, you may be better off taking your chances with electrocution rather than incineration by arc flash!

Reply to
John Rumm

Spoken by a man with a T shirt?

Reply to
Graham.

I wasn't the victim.

Reply to
charles

OK I can probably spot a dangerous plug, apart from the fake fuse, (I would have thought you could make a working 3A fake as easily as a non working fake, but no matter). What I am getting paranoid about is the many "wall warts" I have from the Fat East that have no user changeable fuse and the case is sealed. Without an x-ray machine you have no idea what protection is inside them. I am now thinking It would be a good idea not to plug these directly into a wall socket. but use a trailing socket strip fused at

5A or less.
Reply to
Graham.

The cable seems substantial enough from the outside, no idea what's inside :-)

Indeed, though I don't think I'd have bought anything quite so heath Robinson-ish myself (though it worked well enough)

Reply to
chris French

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Well, it has lots of marks, inc CE, who knows if they are genuine :-)

Anyway, as I thought, no the plug isn't

Reply to
chris French

Well, nobody's going to come round and cut your existing plugs off but you won't find unshrouded live and neutral pinned plugs legally for sale.

Tim

Reply to
Tim