thermostatic mixer bar spares/repair

A mate's thermostatic bar mixer has decided to play up.

The tap head spins without engaging with the innards. It seems the splines are stripped.

He's taken these photos:

reckon the splined part should pop out with a bit of welly from a screwdr iver. He says not but, knowing him as I do, I don't entirely trust that in formation.

Do those inserts usually pop out? They're not moulded as part of the tap h ead, are they? Are they standard (or at least one of a few standards) and readily available as spares from a plumber's merchant? What are they calle d --- is tap head inserts too obvious?

I just found this...

...in my box of "plumbing bits that will come in useful one day", which I c ould send to him (he's 200 miles away) if they're standard.

Or is he looking at replacing the tap heads, in which case can anyone sugge st a supplier of generic mixer bar heads? I've had a quick Google and have only found complete units.

Also, is there a good temporary fix to keep it working until it's sorted pr operly? A couple of turns of gaffer tape and friction-fit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
mike