There's a moose in ma hoose

Ah. I wondered about that. Our cats bring in mice, shrews and voles, but never eat the shrews. I had come to the conclusion it was something to do with the taste. However, tasting nasty doesn't seem to have conveyed an advantage on the shrews, as the cats still kill them. The mice get et - as do the voles, though they quite often can't eat a whole one :-/ We occasionally get the green and purple wobblybits left on the mat - I had put this down to the different dining habits of the two cats, one of whom will neck a mouse whole in 15 seconds, while the other eats in a more finnicky manner, from the outside in. I had considered collecting the wobbly bits to use in vole-au-vents.

Regards Richard

I found a dead swift in the house last week. Although she looks innocent I am sure this toothless cat was the culprit.

Reply to
ARWadworth

Or

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Stupid, overfed, cat. Why expend all the energy and not eat the proceeds?

Ours brings what ever she has caught straight in, including the bits of grass caught along with the unfortunate vole or shrew. Tosses and whacks it about a bit then tucks in. I some times wonder if she is tenderising it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can only assume that in our case the cat is hunting by sound and doesn't really know if it's a vole or shrew until they get the teeth into it. Sound only hunting in the long unmown rough and tussocky grass.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice