The top part of the door ???

OK, being as this is the best damn newsgroup out there FACT. I thought i'd look for some help again. I live in a 1900's mid terrace and the inside main door has a section above it with a window in it. (have no idea what this is called) The window above the door has a sort of pully system (thats missing most parts and hasn't been used for a Loooooong time) that opens the window. My question is - does anyone know where i can buy the parts for this? What is this called? Am I making sense ?

Cheers

Joe.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga

think the top window is called a fan light,we had one in our old house about the same age, but didn't have the opening section to it

Reply to
Sheila

thought

section

window.

this?

Joe,

It's called a "transom window" and often they are top hung, with a geared quadrant that opens and closes it by pulling on a rope or sometime by turning a handle that turns a long shaft. I have a rope operated version in a 1970's flat I let out so they were still available then. Any good quality architectural ironmonger should be able to get you fixed up even if by special order.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Can also be called a transom.

Sheila (the other one)

Reply to
S Viemeister

The word 'light' (not to be confused with 'lamp') is a synomym for 'window' Arky ^W ... Archyteches^W .... Those in the know call the light you've described as a 'Transom Light'; transom: a window above a door that is usually hinged to a horizontal crosspiece over the door. However most 'transom lights' in England are divided into segments - watch for reporters outside Downing Street - representative of a fan and so are frequently termed 'fanlights' in English.

'Transom light opening/closing kit? .... :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

transom light or fanlight.

The catch that holds the casement shut is a

is one you can use with a window pole
you want the quadrant stays
?ProdId=153&SubCat=11&Nav1=Architectural+Ironmongery&Nav2=Brass+Window+FurnitureIt sounds like you have a rope-operated transom light. Can't find them.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Transom" window springs to mind..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is what you want

Toby Sleigh

If it were an outside door I'd say a fanlight. An inside one, a borrowed light.

Yes - had them at the school I went to. Operated by an endless cord.

Dunno if they're still made, though

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)