The Throne

why havn't manufacturers cottoned on yet that steel screws in the plastic spacers that are affixed to the wooden seat rust when water gets onto them.

Why can't they use brass screws instead?

Reply to
George

Last couple I fitted have had plastic screws.

Why don't the people who make toilet roll holders, towel rails, bathroom shelves, soap dishes ever try hanging the bloody things on walls themselves and include decent screws?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thin we have crossed swords here? I'm on about the four dampers that are fixed to the underneath of the wooden toilet seat that stop the seat from marking the toilet itself. These are either plastic or rubber and screwed to the seat with steel screws and when they get water on them the screws rust and it looks as though some shit has managed to get onto the rim of the bog.

Reply to
George

I'd rather they just said what size (diameter) and type of screw - countersunk, round, pan. And made the "things" work with standard screws. I *hate* it when you need to fix something to a piece of granite and are forced to use the supplied long screws. Or to soft lime mortar and have just a few mm of thread. But when the thing itself needs a special screw you cannot always easily substitute with an appropriate length screw.

Reply to
Rod

Is it worth trying some silicone sealant in the holes?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I fitted loads of toilet roll holders, towel rails, bathroom shelves, soap dishes etc on Friday. They all had the upside down keyhole fixing and only the supplied screws would actually fit in the slot. They were No1 PH of all things. As you say, WTF can't they use a standard screw?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
John

I have indeed John. Bloody rubbish! The only sensible ones are Fischer

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=42316Alas very expensive indeed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman