The reasons why windmills wont work...

If you've got any other heat sources and it's cold outside they can achieve negative effeciency if they draw their air from the room.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , at 17:47:36 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Mary Fisher remarked:

And why would I want to sit in the cold and dark, just because I'm at home?

Lunch used to be my main meal. So much less bother to get someone else to cook it.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 20:39:35 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

Depends on the weight.

Mine are about four feet above the rafters.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 19:52:36 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

I wouldn't remember to switch it back on.

Most modern ones are mains powered. Or are you switching that off too?

I haven't got the patience to set a clock every day.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 20:41:10 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Duncan Wood remarked:

Stucco *on top* of insulation? That's very advanced for the fens.

It's the presence of the insulation that destabilises the stucco on top.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 17:29:18 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

I said "directly".

I'm only discounting that part which transports me around. Given the amount of fuss that people make about CO2 and cars, I feel I have a right to believe it's a useful reduction.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No, you mentioned 'burning a fuel'

I guess in scotland, an open fire just burns hot air?

Proof by assertion again?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 19:05:15 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, magwitch remarked:

I live in a town, and it's peaceful enough, thanks. Other towns might differ.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 19:17:52 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

An interesting misrepresentation of what I typed.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No, 60%-72%

No 10% if losses are what you are talking about.

working at its most efficient point. Brand new and fully serviced..

But they don't stay that way, or work that way.

Easily.

Probably less than 10% efficient under many circumstances..the ventilation alone pulls massive amounts of cold in, and lots of hot goes straight up the chimney.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd build a nuclear power station there, and a decent ring road meself ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Terrible from damp point of view..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What DID happen?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 19:20:59 on Sun, 9 Mar 2008, David Hansen remarked:

Even if you don't want to take my word for it, and I have seen the problem at first hand, a quick Google will bring up plenty of quotes like this: "I talked to several realtors while I was looking for a home that told me they would not even list a stucco house now due to the liability they had with selling one."

"be careful with stucco in general, our neighbors here my house is only 6 yrs old in NJ had the hard stucco and well they found after all the rain and stuff there was mold behind it needless to say they had to reface the whole house....either way your better off with brick...also from a Resale Value stand point...good luck to you"

Reply to
Roland Perry

Well that at least was in one of the URLS I cited, which you obviously couldn't read.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Last ones I went round used coke and gas actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Slipped on her Welsh farmhouse stone staircase and broke her fecking neck.

Reply to
magwitch

Only fools and the rich want flame effect, the rest of us just want to be warm and shove a fireplace DVD in if we want flames.

Reply to
dennis

I didn't like either and I woz only a nipper at Junior school. We were all issued with "free" orange jackets so we could safely walk to school.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can see the horrible glow of Teeside at 40 miles away and if you know where to look the glow of Carlisle at 20+ miles. Otherwise the skies are dark real dark. On a clear moonless night the stars are just stunning, the milky way is just a band of light arching across the sky, visible even before your night vision has fully developed.

Conversly on a cloudy night with no moon you can't see a thing, nothing, nada, it's a little disturbing to be honest, enveloped in blackness. Both things that I doubt many people in the UK have really experienced.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice