The night hell froze over ...

Not quite (might have been better if it had), but what happened at 1am-ish this morning happened when it did because the temperature dropped.

Was woken by SWMBO to the news that water was pouring through the ceiling into the kitchen. Our flat is the ground floor of a converted large turn-of-century house and, we soon found out, our upstairs neighbours are away for the weekend (and therefore still don't know about this).

To cut a long - and, at the time, quite fraught - story short, we tracked down a friend of theirs who rushed over with a key, arriving just as I was bringing in the ladder in order to poke a hole in the ceiling (which never got done).

Upstairs, where we were expecting a scene of devastation ... nothing, complete tranquility. Nothing in adjacent rooms either.

Then, as we were about to return downstairs, I noticed, at the bottom of the wall in their kitchen (where some re-finishing work is being done, an unterminated radiator feed, where the rad had been removed in order for work to be carried out on the wall.

A steady, undramatic-here-at-the-point-of-origin, stream of water was quietly pouring forth. It was a TRV (presumably on a frost setting) that had opened in response to the temperature drop.

The dehumidifier is now purring away in our kitchen. I suppose I'm going to have to lift the TileLOC flooring, but I'm trying not to think about that.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Ah...

there's a case against their plumbers..

This is insurance stuff.

Take photos immediately of that TRV, write down what you did, and get friend to also write it down, so that you have all ducks in row.

Contact insurance company.

They should recover all costs from neighbours insurance or the plumbers who did it..they have liability insurance (I hope)

Same thing happened here just before I demolished old house. Let the boiler run out of oil, and a pipe froze upstairs in the loft...

No big deal since we were trashing the house anyway ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nothing suggests that plumbers have to be to blame. Decorators, builders or the flat owners may have taken the radiator off. You are still correct about photos and insurance though. I would expect the house contents insurance of the owners to cover the damage below if they have removed the radiator themselves.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why do OP's from this gentleman never appear in OE6 ?

I can't find the name in my blocked senders list.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use OE6. He shows up fine on my reader.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't think of a single reason why not. I play nice on usenet, don't have sex with my dog [1] or anything reproachable.

[1] I don't have a dog but, if I did, I wouldn't.
Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Aha! Couldn't find Appelation Controlee but I did find me@etc. Don't know how that got there, my allopogies.

How about if it was a pretty dog?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your allopogies are quite unnecessary. :-) snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net is a straight-to-bin address that's allowed by news.individual net, as long as you post with a genuine Reply To address (which I do, although I don't often think to read anything there}.

It would need to be a border collie, otherwise what would we talk about afterwards?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Never did John Noakes any harm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately lots and lots of idiots and trolls use snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net , hence many of us have that blocked. I'd suggest that the OP (or should that be AoC? ) change it slightly, to ' snipped-for-privacy@provacy.net or whatever.

Reply to
OG

Would it be Contents ? Not Buildings perhaps ??

Reply to
fictitious

Not recommended. When the provacy.net address gets harvested for spam, every single mail server that sees every one of those spam mails will try to look up that domain. Since its normal DNS server won't know about it (it doesn't exist) it will ask the next one up the chain. This continues until the request reaches the root DNS servers, of which there aren't all that many (because requests are supposed to be handled by something lower down the chain before them). A few hundred thousand people generating such requests and the load becomes noticeable.

The official technical solution is to use a domain that ends with .invalid . All well-written DNS software is supposed to recognise a request for such a domain and return "no such address" straight away, without checking with all its mates first.

Using a domain you own, perhaps an address that dumps everything it receives, should also be acceptable.

The other issue is what happens when someone eventually buys the made-up address that you used.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

That's what I've done. I've never visited it to see what's there. Probably a warehouse full of spam somewhere.

That's assuming you've actually checked it doesn't already exist.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ooops, what I meant to say was 'use something like snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net '

Reply to
OG

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net exists as a spam trap (as do, IIRC, me01-through-me09, or something like that), and all mail directed there is dumped. snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net will result in messages needing to be handled by the privacy.net mail system, possibly resulting in NDRs being generated.

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

Thats not the way DNS works. Servers down the chain will already 'know' since they have the master domains cached, that the domain doesn't exists.

Oh, and DNS servers are amongst the least loaded as far as traffic goes. I've run many, and some quite 'central' ones too.

You could probably run most of this country on a 386 PC.

Now don't talk about NEWS servers..

Its probably true to say that the biggest clusters of machines today can barely keep up with the total usenet traffic volumes, especially the binary stuff.

Last time I ran one the text stuff *alone* was a 250kbps 24x7 feed.

Thats why I use what I use. Its an invalid and never for sale top level domain.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , OG

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net is designed specifically to avoid genuine domain holders from being swamped with spam. Using it is a perfectly reasonable and sensible thing to do. Your suggestion is not. Whoever owns provay dot net will NOT be impressed.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Get down Shep!! Oooh Err Missus

John