The joy of old tools

Clifton still make one, for some stupendous price.

On eBay an old Stanley #45 or similar will pretty much never break =A350, and that's for one boxed and shiny. Patrick Leach never reckoned much to them either.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ok ok I can't stand this anymore - I'll tell I tell.

I had one of these - never used it much being only an occasional wooditeer. Every time I use the damn thing is stuck in the wood - even with the finest blade protuberance! One day (a sunny day it was, bees buzzing and...), I decided to get the accursed thing out (we ARE taking about the router-plane thing btw) and read the instructions. Oh dear - all those wasted years - I'd had the soddin blade in backwards!!!!!!! :-) I'll say it for you - What a plonker eh!

I reversed it and, as OP said, - it was a delight to use - just to make some grooves for the sheer fun of it. It still seems to me to have to go in backwards to work though!

Hope it raised a laugh now anyway.

Reply to
dave

They always struck me as something that an orthopaedic surgeon might use.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's always me ...

Reply to
geoff

He must have discontinued PVA after you'd gone.

Scotch glue isn't very nice for us vegetarians, is it, being mostly molished from bones and hooves?

OK - I know you're not supposed to eat/drink it...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

No bones. It's hooves and mostly the stringy ligaments from cow knee joints. Although it's labelled as "hide" glue, there's not much hide in it either.

Nor is Scotch glue used any more. Any sort of "hide" glue these days is pearl glue, which is basically the same product, only processed and packaged differently. Pearl glue in an electric pot with a thermostat is easy to use. Scotch glue is still a damn nuisance and very slow to get going at the start of the day.

Rabbbit skin glue is worth investigating too. It's more flexible, so it's good for leatherwork, bookbinding and sticking to brass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I found something similar in my garage, but made of wood and held together with wedges (very tricky to adjust). Perfect for cutting the little sticky out bit on the window sills I just made, that fits in the groove on my new window frames, if you know what I mean.

tom.harrigan