The Bungalow - update

Hi,

Progress has been very slow (working in London 60 miles away, 4 hour round commute, SWMBO works too + kids to cook for), but progress is happening:

This is Leia's bedroom nearing completion:

'll quickly explain that her bedroom and the bathroom were the result of chopping the old kitchen in half. This was to remove the old bathroom that prevented the hall being a walk-through front to back - something that will be essential later...

Out of all the things we have done, Leia's bedroom is the compromise that made everything else work - it's a funny hickelty pickelty room that might be better off as a study in fact it would be very good in that role) - and that remains an option if you only needed to 2 bed house - or when the dormer is back in one piece, it would also be an option to divvy that up into a bedroom and another room.

But for now, with a bit of creativity, it will work quite well...

Just finished (bar painting) the pipe boxing in 12mm MDF on a 18x44mm frame with 1/3 + 2/3 front-back stubs to ensure rigidity.

Those stubs are not fixed to the rear frame - so it is possible, at the expense of digging out 6 screws and running a knife down both sides to free the caulking (to be) to have that panel out without much damage.

On top will go a 130mm deep ok plank as a useful cup and lamp sized shelf (Hence the power socket).

The "box" that is filling the hole under that bath was going to be a panel - but then I thought - why waste the space. So I made "Bunny's House" (Leia's name - as "Bunny" will live there. But later it could take books nicely handy for bedtime reading.

Today I discovered the joy that is Pinkgrip - bloody good stuff it seems to be too. Bought from Margaret Mill's in Gloucester Road (S Ken, London) - a newly discovered emporium of all that is proper in the field of DIY - at surprisingly un-South Kensington prices!

- yes there are loads of gaps round that frame trim - the plaster is not square, but my box is! That will be "solved" with caulk tomorrow and painted wall coloured. Leia will then have Bunny's House removed 10 SS screws - slides out cleanly to allow easy access to the bath drains and valves) and she will decorate the inside with some tester pots of various coloured emulsions...

And yes - the floor is down - Kahrs on top of Marmox + "Boardwalk" underlay, same as the other bedrooms.

you look hard near the edge of the wood as it goes to the bathroom tiles (20mm lower level) you can just see a bit of 15x15mm ali box siliconed in - this is an attempt at flood prevention - should any leaks happen under the bath, there's quite a lot of volume that can be taken up before it could get over that "dam" and onto the wood (which would of course be a disaster).

Of course, once the bath panel is siliconed in - the water will have no where to go - this is a problem. I might drill some drain holes into the hall the other side so any flooding will make itself known and hopefully go towards the tiled hall rather than the wood bedroom floor...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's really superb. I've a stash of it somewhere for when the H&S police decide that it's illegal to sell the stuff because it works...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Frank Erskine ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) wibbled on Sunday 23 January

2011 00:09:

I did notice Everbuild's website lists "new and improved Pinkgrip" "now without the smelly solvents" - must be crap then.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You told me and John that the space under the bath was there to lock away the kids if they did not behave:-)

Nice photos though.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) wibbled on Sunday 23 January

2011 18:40:

Shhh - she can read quite well now....

As for my son - I'm not putting him under the bath with 4 ballvalves and unscrewable drain connections - but I do have a space under the stairs earmarked for a gaol...

Ta - just waiting for the MDF primer to dry, then roll a coat of emulsion on. I know why I didn't know about MDF primer (thanks Andy, IIRC) - B&Q never have any, and the shelf location it should be is in a completely stupid illogical place. Thankfully Wickes is 2 minutes away.

Reply to
Tim Watts