That Stuff (TM)?

Yes, I had some stuff once which appeared to have the name Gunk written on it in faded printing. Had a slight smell of wintergreen about it, and it worked well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fill the palm of your hand with sugar, a squirt of Fairy on top, and away you go. The beauty of it is it's in every kitchen. The sugar does dissolve but slowly enough for its abrasive qualities to do their thing.

Reply to
stuart noble

Then treat hands for dermatitis etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Orange one is excellent. Toolsatan do it cheap enough.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , usenet2012 writes

Umm.. There may be two *Swarfega Orange* versions. The one I have with the bits in is stock code SOR45L DCN:4298/1207 (4.5L)

Annoyingly the top is just the right size for ladies, who never get grease on their hands, to stand the spare toilet roll on:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah, Glasplies, I remember them from scouting days (making fibreglass canoes). Is it still as ramshackle as it was then?

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Most garages insist their staff use disposable gloves these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Were you ever allowed to eat Fairy?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've found Rhütten Sapoman Forte to be about the best I've used. Sold in a pump pot it's a clear liquid and doesn't cause any skin reaction (on me). I use it when working on the tractor and it cleans off grease, oil, diesel etc and all of these mixed together and with added soil.

I used to be able to get it on eBay - haven't seen it there for some time.

An alternative with bits in is Loctite hand cleaner with pumice.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aren't those little cakes made for a childs party made from it then?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

+1

As a roofer for 18 years my hands were pitted dark grey from slate dust and industrial fallout. My skin was, itself, very hard and abrasive. Winter meant the folds in my fingers and thumbs were split across the width and, bleeding most of the time. When the dark sooty stuff got in there it stayed, Scrubbing inside with a nail brush and chemicals was painful and pointless.

I never found anything to clean my hands. Not even abrasive paper. bleach(yes, I tried), Ajax, etc. I bought a very expensive product made by Comma called Clean Hands - 'The Tough Hand Cleaner'. Useless as the rest. Taking the advice of the salesperson was sheer desperation.

New girlfriends would sit at the sink side and try their best to get them clean disbelieving my claims. An unemployed (ex)friend once said 'My hands made him feel nauseous and that I should make more effort'. LOL. The d*ck! How happy was I when I asked him to come and work for me for 3 months and, some weeks later to watch him sat at his PC with dirty grey hands.

Some things will simply not lift from the depths of the layers of skin because they are not soluble. In my case, grit in cleaners will not help in anyway.

Having said that, the one thing that did reduce the 'shadow' was my weekend of potholing. 6 to 8 hours clinging on to limestone every week did some good. :-)

Reply to
RayL12

Barrier cream up front makes it so much more effective too, as well as providing some protection.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Language!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The best stuff I have used was called Frasco but you can not get it any more, It was basically sawdust with a bit of soap powder in it, experiment and make your own.

Reply to
F Murtz

In message , The Night Tripper writes

They are in a newer building about where they were before, by a railway bridge. The person I dealt with seemed nice and casual, but very helpful when I asked a few questions about applying the surfacing tissue. The prices were good, and Ill go there again for the two other roofs we have to do.

While I was there he took a phone call and said something like "I'll go and get him, he's playing on the fork-lift out the back at the moment".

Reply to
Bill

Ouch. Still working? How are the hands now?

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

In a similar vein, I am puzzled by whatever muck comes out of the sky and settles on pavements and patios etc. Patio cleaners, and most detergents, work to a limited extent but soot is hydrophobic, so the usual products seem to make hard work of it. No, I'm not getting the brick acid out!

Reply to
stuart noble

No :-) I gave the business up in 98. My hands? Absolutely fine. :-)

Reply to
RayL12

I believe between us, Stuart, we have found a solution for the patio. A large piece of ham on a brush stale.

Reply to
RayL12

I think I'll stick with the dirty patio

Reply to