Testing water pipework for leaks, prior to first use??

No you can see new bubbles forming around the source of the leak - that's the whole point, surely. Bubbles remain stable (or slowly dissappear) when there is no leak.

David

Reply to
Lobster

What outlet? This method verifies the integrity of all the joints in an entire system.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If the pressure is too high the spray will not show leaks. Compressed air is not advised. You can use a gas U tube gauge to maximum and leave overnight. The only problem is that solidified flux in joints can hold that sort of pressure

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Spamlet" wrote in news:i44tf6$sff$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Excellent idea!! I think that might work well. Definitely worth trying. Thanks for that. I knew there must be some cost-free method, using readily- available materials. I can put the ballon over the return pipe and pump some air into the feed pipe with bicyclwe pump. To do this, I guess I can fix (somehow) a bicycle tyre valve into the end of the open pipe. Maybe epoxy it into a hole drilled in the face of a push-fit end cap...

Al

Reply to
AL_z

YAPH wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Excellent idea - thank you! I do love methods that are easy and don't cost. I will I will try Spamlet's ballon suggestion first (because of its simplicity); if that doesn't work, your nanometer suggestion will probably be the next thing I'll try.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:i44683$1lm$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

That's good to know about - thanks. Initially, though, I want to try and test the cirquit without using water. The air pressure methods offered here sound promising. I'll be overjoyed if someone has a method that actually provides clues as to where any leak is located. I've been trying to think of a way to blow some incense smoke into the cirquit, prior to pumping up the air pressure, or something like that. Then, if there's a leak under the floorboards in one particular room, that room might (with luck) be identified by the aroma within that room! Just an idea. Other suggestions welcome.

Al

Reply to
AL_z

agree fully ... same if you paint on some washing up liquid solution ... you can see bubbles clearly

Interesting on a leaking gas fitting, a CORGI regtd old school gas fitter tested with cigarette lighter .... safe enough was his comment as long as gas is left on, flame can't get back inside pipe .... no need for fancy sprays !

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The air pressure testing of a CH system in a new build is one case where everyone is told to leave the building.

Usually it is done at the end of the day pressured to 8 bar and left overnight to see if the pressure has dropped.

Reply to
ARWadsworth