Temperamental grill fan

I have an indesit FIDM20 oven.

A fan should blow the hot air away from the row of controls at the top of the oven housing.

However, it operates intermittently when using the grill. The fan will either come on or won't. The fan will always come on when using the oven.

I can visibly see through the grills if it is operating or not. Without it running, the controls get very hot.

What could be at fault here if the same fan operates when using the oven but only intermittently operates when using the grill?

Steve...........

Reply to
dog-man

Don't know about Indesit, but our Hotpoint has thermostats involved. If yours is the same, could it be that the oven stat is OK and the grill stat isn't.

Reply to
Tinkerer

The fan (if working correctly) comes on immediately when either the grill or oven is switched on and stays on until the grill or oven is switched off, so would a thermostat have any say in whether it operated or not in this case?

Steve........

Reply to
dog-man

presumably the fan is switched by both the oven and the grill. it sounds to me as though the connection from the grill switch is faulty.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

If that's the case, then probably not. However, the casing fan on our AEG is supposed to run on after the oven is switched off to stop the casing overheating. It doesn't, 'cos the stupidly designed thermal switch set fire to itself. I fudged it so the fan comes on with the lights, for now[1] and we just leave them on for a few minutes after finishing with the oven.

[1] Well, for the last five years actually...
Reply to
Skipweasel

critcher said......................... on our hotpoint double oven, the grill control cooling fan comes on when we switch on the grill or top oven. the main oven cooler fan only comes on when the exterior gets hot enough to trip the fan on.

Reply to
critcher

bad switch contacts, bad wiring connection

NT

Reply to
Tabby