TEKS screws

I've been asked to attach some fixings to steel sheet using hexagonal- headed TEKS screws (as already used for similar fixings in the same location). These, apparently are self tapping - but do they need a pilot hole? If not, how do I start them off? Are they meant to be driven by a spanner, or a power tool?

Reply to
Andy Mabbett

hexagonal-

The ones I used roofing one of my buildings in steel profile sheeting just sat in a hex socket in my Wickes bat op drill, and with an initial stout push went in nicely. They had a cutting edge ground on the point, and the screw bit only started after maybe a mm or so.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If they are what I'm thinking of they have a 'drill' on the tip of the screw so are truly a one shot approach to fixing into sheet metal. A drill with a suitable socket on the end is all you need - although a centre punch helps if you need accurate spacing, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to both who replied - that did the trick.

Reply to
Andy Mabbett