Tecumseh LEV 80 Engine

Hi everyone... I have been given an Electrolux grass cutter which appears to be in vgc but it would benefit from a new blade etc... Before I get into this there is something that causes me some concern (I have no great knowledge of mowers)... I tried to start the engine but the pull cord is pretty well 'solid' and I cannot pull it. I suspected a seized engine but that is not the case as I can rotate it easily from the underneath and after doing this the pull cord is free until I give it a pull and it 'locks' once more... Can anyone suggest what may be causing the pull cord to lock-up and what might be the wisdom of attempting to 're-habilitate' this machine... It is only about five years old and hasn't been used at all for the past three years... Any advice would be much appreciated....

Reply to
Ardamerr

On all the mowers I have had, it is necessary to hold the brake lever in the off position whilst pulling the cord.

Sorry if this is a granny teaching the sucking of eggs kind of reply but you never know!

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Thanks for that Steve, and yes, that is the case here, if I don't hold the brake lever as you say, there is no way the cord will move at all... But what I am describing is the situation when the cord should be free as the brake is in the 'off' position... I'm probably not much use at sucking eggs either :-)

Richard.

Reply to
Ardamerr

That's engine brake or the "dead mans handle" that kills and stops the engine PDQ if you let it go.

I'd been trying to think of something to fits the OPs description but failed but now this has been mentioned. I can only just turn over my mower engine if the brake is on but pushing the blades underneath isn't a problem.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's interesting Dave, so it looks like the 'dmh' brake could be stuck 'on' and although the bowden cable is operating the actuator it may not be releasing the actual brake itself eh?

Regards... Richard.

Reply to
Ardamerr

Hi all... For what it's worth the problem was caused by the fracture of the Bowden Cable from the Dead Man's Handle to the brake / engine stop switch. The Bowden Cable had been 'fatally' bent when someone had carelessly hinged the handle down. This had the effect of 'lengthening' the outer sheath of the cable preventing the brake from releasing... It actually took almost a complete dismantle to discover this problem!!

Thanks to all who put me on the right track!

Richard

Reply to
Ardamerr