Table saws - buyers guide please....

In the market for a small sub £200 table saw. EBay has a Scheppach HS100m for 170, a woodstar st10e for 145. Others are also available.

I want to produce some modified sash window sections with an internal angle which I don't think I can do with a router & table, but two cuts - one at an angle should do it I think. Also be a lot quicker to do other sections w ith cuts rather than endless routing passes...

At this level is there much to choose between?

Other ads mention "sliding carriages" or similar, does this offer any real advantages?

TIA Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Sliding carriages or tables make cross cutting more accurate and depending on size make cutting sheet material easier. Look for a machine which has a full length fence that locks at both ends and get one that you can add run off and side table extensions even if you think you might not need them ini tially.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Go for whichever has the best fence... It needs to be solid, square, and easy to set and move. Once set it needs to stay put.

Probably not at that price point.

Reply to
John Rumm

True, but one can work round these issues by building a cross cut sledge for pretty much any saw that has slots in the table.

Again, one can build stands and in and out feed support for a saw - its not quite as critical that it supports it directly unless you need to use it "on site" and have to use just what it comes with. (many of the extra tables etc on budget saws tend to be a bit feeble IME)

Reply to
John Rumm