Swapping light switches

Greetings all

I've had some doors rehung indoors and need to move the light switches as they are now hidden when the door opens. I have access to the cabling in the loft but is this something that a DIYer can do or do the new regulations require an electrician? Thanks for your help

Sam

Reply to
sam

You can do that since it does not fall under the new regulations (i.e. it is a "minor work"). The exception would be if the switch were in a bathroom or kitchen.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

So what jobs are OK and which aren't? I though that if it involved a new cable it was banned by the Part P Gestapo. So changing a switch/socket for a new one was OK. but as the OP want's to move the switches to the other side of the door opening it must involve a new cable?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

AIUI the following are OK:

1 Changing accessories

2 Adding a spur to existing circuit power circuit

3 Adding socket to existing ring

4 Replacing a cable section in an existing circuit

5 Adding a lighting point or switch

6 Any amount of life threatening bodgery with "appliances", extension leads, multiway adaptors

7 Changing a CU fuse, resetting MCB etc.

Things verboten under possible penalty of being shoved up the orifice of the deputy prime minister include:

8 Adding a complete new circuit (even if it is the better/safer alternative to copious application of 2 and 3 above)

9 Work in restricted locations[1] (i.e. bathroom and kitchen [2])

10 Work that messes with the CU, Meter, Tails etc (although again open to discussion if you want to do 4 above on the first/last section of a circuit).

11 Upgrading earth bonding to modern standards - not because it is in itself dangerous, but because it would normally required some of 9 above.

[1] Some debate as to if changing an accessory like for like is allowed [2] Work in a bedroom with on-suite facilities may or may not be covered depending on the wind direction

So all in all a bit of a dogs breakfast!

Reply to
John Rumm