SWA right up to sw nr CU?

Hi All,

Still planning the power feed from house to workshop.

Yesterday I took the new (but old, GE metal 5 way) RCD CU that I got off eBay out to try to find some MCB's for it. MK and Wylex ones were 'close' but I think I would prefer the right ones (anyone got a 32, 16 and 6A one in their van to sell?). I was then just going to get a Clipsal garage RCD CU (like the Screwfix one) but they said they were out of stock, weren't getting any more and suggested Clipsal were in the mids of a change of ownership or summat?

That took me to a DP switch (CU to workshop feed isolator) and found a white plastic (7 quid) 45A cooker switch (with neon) but was considering what I was going to mount it in. I say this because I'm not sure why I wouldn't want to run the SWA the extra 3m under the house floor and up near the CU and into some sort of metal box (better for the gland etc, rather than buying a junction box and doing the extra 3m in T&E?). I do have a smallish DP switch and fuse in a metal box with gland holes (ex Dads garage) that would take the SWA nicely, but I wouldn't need the fuse if I'm taking the feed from a 32A MCB in the CU. Could I re-wire the fuse carrier with some heavier (than 32A) wire or possibly bypass it alltogether?

Lastly, and assuming I want to do some Stick / MIG welding (13A worst case) at the end of say the 15m length of SWA, what would the 'ideal' size for the SWA to minimise too much voltage drop (without going mad ) please (6mm?)?

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

They do an excellent Volex one that I bought a couple of weeks ago for my shed. The VGCKIT. It looks pretty waterproof and is cheap as chips, given that it is IP rated.

Quote number 63138.

Christian McArdle

Thanks for that.

I assume I coud replace the 16 with a 32A MCB for a 'ring' down here (it's a workshop rather than a shed)?

I have managed to pick up today a couple of MCB's to fit the GE CU so I might see how I get on with that.

Still not sure re the isolator. I could fit a 45A cooker switch but I am still unsure about bringing the SWA up to near the CU or jointing it near the entry and running the rest in T&E?

Aslo, the leftover metal bodied DP switch and wired fuse could be good (as I've got it already) but not sure what to do with the fuse as it's coming off a MCB anyway?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I believe so. It is marked not to exceed 40A. 32A+6A is obviously within this.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:09:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y T i m strung together this:

I've got boxes full of GE MCB's. Email me your address and which ones your short of, (I notice you've already found some), and they're yours.

I would fit a douple plate metalclad 45A DP switch.

Reply to
Lurch