Solar Hot Water and Heatbanks

Hi,

Later this year I will be installing a heatbank (see

if you don't know what I'm on about) in my home. It will replace my indirect hot water cylinder.

I also intend to have a "secondary solar loop" in the heatbank so I can experiment with solar panels....because I have a south facing pitch on my roof I reckon I can potentially enjoy solar hot water - most of the time - for half the year.

I want to understand the practicality and costs associated with using "vacuum heat collecting tube" based solar panels. (This web site says a lot more

).

Despite extensive Googling I have not been able to find objective technical and pricing information for self-install solar panels in the UK.

I have numerous questions such as:

  • What is the typical heat output/square metre in various weather conditions.
  • Is it normal to use pressurised operation (as in unvented CH)?
  • What happens if things overheat? I don't think I want my heatbank to boil.
  • Do these things deliver usable energy on sunny Winter days?
  • What should I expect to pay?

Any pointers? Any recommendations? Anyone done this?

BTW I've already calculated that I'm unlikely to get payback (ie fuel savings paying for my efforts) in a realistic timeframe. This is actually an excercise in self-gratification....and me doing my little bit towards the Kyoto climate change treaty.

David

Reply to
Vortex

Good choice.

These are expensive. Simple flat plate are a lot cheaper. You can make them yourself. CAT at http;//

sell a flat plate kit and instructions.

How about making all the roof a collector. Then you will have a plenty of hot water delivered. If you have a large roof a lot of flat plates can return more hot water than a few vacuum tube panels.

Can be open vented. Many have self draining panels, that drain into a small tank when there is no sun.

You have high temp cuts offs that switch off the pump. The heat bank will its own safety devices anyway, if the panel safety devices fail.

All energy is usable and its is for nothing. On winters days the temperature received are low.

If the CH is run from the heat bank, the panels will supplement the CH also in winter. A full south facing roof can provide enough heat in winter to run low temperature underfloor heating for much of the time. They are an ideal match.

Reply to
IMM