Suggested drill size to put 15mm pipe through wall.

I need to put a 15mm central heating pipe through a brick wall - what drill size should I purchase? I'm thinking 20mm - though I don't want the hole to be too big! Should I seal the hole, or just let the pipe sit within it?

Should I sleeve the pipe in anything? If so, does it need to be thick? I could use some of those Rad-Snap thingys which just wrap around the 15mm pipe - or something similar.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The best thing to do is to slip it inside some 22mm plastic pipe (i.e. Speedfit/Polyplumb type stuff). Put this into a 25mm drilled hole and finish off with expanding foam.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

IIRC, I used 20mm plastic electrical conduit, which is a nice fit and can use a smaller hole.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Certainly. It probably depends what you have lying around the house. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A good size that will allow for a little descrepancy in the squreness of the pipe or hole.

Depends, generally it's personal preference. Assuming it's not gas that is. Also depends on where it is, i.e. if it is in the corner of your lounge a little plaster or flexible filler would tidy it up, if it was from the garage to the outside for instance it wouldn't really be critical.

Only if it's gas.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

If it's copper the mortar can attack copper. Dunno about plaster. Sleeving will also protect against mechanical damage caused by slight movement of the wall, allow you to remove the pipe if ever necessary, allow for expansion and contraction of the pipe, and reduce heat loss by conduction into the wall.

Reply to
John Stumbles

That's a necessity; you don't *have* to do it for anything but gas. But since the reason for sleeving (copper) gas pipes is the fact that they are corroded by plaster and cement, you'd be advised to do it anyway.

David

Reply to
Lobster