Sub base for block paving

Thanks to Mr G Brown I have plenty of spare time on my hands so I am setting about converting the front garden to block paving. The drive is already done. The garden is dug out and I have used bricks from a demolished wall and broken concrete from the old foundations of a greenhouse as the hardcore for the paving. Problem is what is the best medium to crush down into the voids between the concrete. MOT looks as though it is too course for this so what should I use?

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Did you get planning permission??? Also thanks to Mr Brown.

Reply to
MikeS

If its limestone MOT, just keep running a car over it until it isn't ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not yet but I am putting a soak away in.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Or just do it like I did 5 square meters do it, take photo then leave it a few weeks then another 5 square meters. Then leave it another couple of months and another 5 square meters :)

Reply to
MikeS

:)

Reply to
Jon

Have a look here

The Medway Handyman

Don't do what I did and use a very weak sand/cement mix. The bloody stuff is too soft and the rats are digging tunnels under my paving. They are just wide enough for the blocks to fall in when you step on them.

Reply to
dennis

Unless your concrete/brick is at least 200mm (8 inches) below the desired finish level, they'll have to come out, or get mashed up with something hefty.

If the gaps are too small for MOT the bulky stuff will have to come out, because it needs to be flat and you can't get it flat with big lumps, they will rock and you can't pack them down properly, IE mechanically - you need a whacker, or if it's going to get driven over, a vibrating roller, and you compact everything, add a layer of MOT, compact again, add another layer, compact again until you reach the desired height, then you trammel out a

50mm bed of gritsand so that it is perfectly flat and lay each block on top, and then whack over the blocks to push them down evenly into the gritsand (I'm looking in denis's direction here, Re; the rat situation), the gritsand becomes so compacted that nothing can get through it.
Reply to
Phil L

Type 1 MoT is the stuff to use. Well compacted with a plate vibrator it makes an ideal sub base.

Reply to
John Rumm