Stripping paint from aluminium

I have some panels to re-spray from a machine tool and they need taking back to bare metal as a previous owner has made a mess of a brush paint job in an unknown paint type. Most are steel, but one panel is 2 mm aluminium and about 1 metre square. I would sand blast it but I'm afraid that it would damage it. I would use stripper, but many are based on Caustic Soda which dissolves aluminium.

Suggestions please

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Grit blast it, but use a soft medium, such as walnut shell.

Reply to
Nightjar

Would an oil based stripper do the job? I've used this successfully in the past but cleaning afterwards can be a pita. What about a heat gun? Use a decent scraper with corners rounded off.

Reply to
Nick

I use Nitromors on aircraft panels with no problems.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Trouble is they've 'safened' the formulation of Nitromors recently :( I tried a bit of B&Q paint & varnish stripper on a small area. Took it down to the primer fairly easily but very messy. It wouldn't shift the primer. I also sand blasted a small off cut of 2 mm aluminium that I'd painted as a sample of the new paint. Being reasonably aggressive with the cabinet blaster I couldn't detect any noticeable thinning with a digital caliper so that's promising, however I do worry a bit about distortion. For the full scale thing I'll be using a Hodge Clemco full sized out door blaster (let's blast a motorway bridge !) I once blasted an old hand rip saw and it came out like a banana :(

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You want a Methylene Chloride based paint stripper. Trouble is, I think this is something the nannying EU decided you can't have anymore, so it will be down to you having some old paintstripper left from some years back.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Thank goodness it's still available for lab use eg:

fred

Surprised it doesn't say "frequently purchased together with wallpaper paste" ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Easily obtained in small bottles at some model shops as well ,used by plastic kit builders to stick some of the more awkward plasics together. G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Unfortunately, that is unlikely to be in gel form which is ideal for paint stripping, and is probably neat liquid form which will easily run off and spill where you don't want it to go.

Also note that as a paint stripper consumer product, it came with lots of important dire warnings, which might not be present when sold as a chemical.

Funnily enough, I used some on Monday to strip the paint off a short length of copper pipe before cutting it to splice in a full bore lever ball valve.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Funny you should mention it but when I used the original Nitromors product I always use the unthickened 'master craftsmans' ' product, more active ingredient per litre and it still had just enough viscosity to stick, much the same as a thin paint.

See Andy B's mention of wallpaper paste though for those wanting to thicken it. Never done it but I assume that the cellulose goes straight into the meth without any water pre-mixing?

Hey, Andrew (the other one) is a grown up (too) though :-)

Reply to
fred

I find those comments quite amusing at times.

13 or more years ago, I bought the O'Reilly Usenet book, as I was taking over a running a peering usenet server. I mentioned it to a colleague too, who might occasionally look at the server if I wasn't around. He went to order it from Amazon, and it said "people who bought this also bought 16th edition wiring regulations" ;-) So he calls me and asks if that was me - yep it was! It seems most unlikely there would be many other people in the world who would buy both together.

Also seen this with things I've bought from CPC. In such cases, I conclude that there are not a lot of sales of the specific item other than those that I buy.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, I refuse to grow up - I have however grown old :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No shortage of methylene chloride on ebay.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon