Strengthening a tree branch

Hi All,

We bought my daughter a hanging chair/ hammock thing for her birthday. We have a large cedar tree in the middle of the garden and I thought it might be nice to hang it from that. I have been able to get a rope over the bran ch but there is quite a bit of give in the branch when you apply some weigh t to it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to strengthen it/ make it more r igid without damaging the tree?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

Does it feel like the branch is going to break?

Reply to
Tim Watts

In general there are two techniques used to supports tree branches: propped from below using crutches

and
, or tied into other branches, shown diagrammatically here
and here
. Really heavy branches can be drilled through and an anchor-bolt inserted
or using things like these
and tied to other branches with steel cables.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well I doubt it would pass a LOLER inspection but the least intrusive method would be cobra self tending bracing at a point beyond the swing and back to the stem. Cobra doesn't strangle any future branch expansion. I guess you would rig it so as to offer no support when the swing is un laden but to go taught when swing in use, this way the branch will continue to adapt to further extension growth.

AJH

Reply to
news

TAUT not taught